significant pressure loss in shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmrichie

Reaction score
I recently experienced a significant loss of pressure in my shower (both through the showerhead and the spigot) immediately following some work on the water line by my city water dept. Prior to this the water pressure in the shower was very good.

I'm on city water. I have excellent pressure everywhere else in the house, including the sink in the same bathroom as the shower. The shower is located about 15 feet from, and one floor above the water heater. My shower is a two handle setup with a lift knob to activate the shower head. The house was built in 1955 and I believe the plumbing is 95% original except for some sink plumbing. There is a second shower located next to the water heater and the pressure there is excellent.

When the city turned the water back on (it was off for a few hours) the immediate water was dirty (reddish/brown) which makes me consider a possible blockage.

It makes no difference whether I turn on the cold water knob or the hot water knob, the pressure is very low through the spigot or the showerhead. It is exactly the same pressure either way.

I removed the showerhead and it did not seem to improve the pressure.

Nothing else has changed in the house that would affect the water pressure.

I am a total amateur and don't really know anything about plumbing. Am I right to think that since the pressure is the same for both hot and cold that there could be a clog in the "rough-in valve" possibly. The "rough-in valve looks identical to this:

https://www.faucetdirect.com/pfiste...07-series-double-handle-shower-trims/p1697105

ANY help or advice that anyone can provide will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks!

Odd. debris from city water to hot side of shower valve would have to flow through the water heater. I would shut off water and pull the cold stem.
then turn it on briefly. if you have flow do same to hot.

You sure it's a Price Pfister?

Thanks Mr David, actually I don't think it is a Price Pfister. I was just trying to show what the rough-in valve looks like from the access panel. I don't know much so I wasn't sure if they all look alike or not.

Also, thinking back I'm not sure that the water from the shower was dirty after the work by the city. I know it was from the kitchen sink but not sure about the shower.

I will try pulling the cold stem as you suggest. Due to my schedule I won't be able to get to it till next week some time.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!!!

Last edited:
Back