Shrinking Flush Valve Chains???

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeezix

Reaction score
Over the years the metal chains that connect the flush handles to the flush valves "shrink" and get shorter. Happens after 8 or10 years, The flush valve then leaks and I have to bend the flush lever down a bit. Eventually enough crust accumulates on and eats thru the levers and they break.

No big thing, just wondering why this happens...

The metal chain in my toilet "shrinks" when it gets tangled in the tank and then the flapper dangles can't make a seal. I solved the problem by putting cable ties that prevent some plastic tube from sliding that causes the tangling. Not sure if that's the setup you have. OEM parts on AS cadet 3 toilet.

The metal does not shrink, lol.
Yeah, I know. Just wondering why it appears to get shorter. Maybe the flapper is shrinking????
Oh well, I bent the flush lever down to fix the leak. Guess that will last another 8-10 years. I hope.

The flush lever is moving in its mounting hole. This will make the chain too short.

It’s a common problem, especially with cheap handles.

Most of the time the handle is hanging clear down almost to the flapper. Your right its hard to get a good one.

I meant when I go to some ones house that's what they have. I buy them from Famous or Robertson's supply

Latest posts

Back