shower valve ID?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DetroitRob

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Can anyone help me identify this valve? It was hiding behind a Delta trim plate.

ForumRunner_20130304_202313.jpg

ForumRunner_20130304_202328.jpg

Thanks for the help. The builder who did the work around 4 months ago said he got it at the home Depot. The homeowner picked up another valve to swap the cartridge with and he says it says Delta on the box. The trim on the valve was Delta, but I've never seen that cartridge in a Delta before. I wonder if Delta makes pegasus for the home Depot or something?

It's a Delta valve alright. One I've never heard of.

ForumRunner_20130308_185831.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a Pegasus/Delta universal cartridge. I had a conversation with a Home depot rep a few years ago and he explained that there is no "Pegasus" company. Every year the actual manufacturer could potentially change. It depends on who gets the bid to produce the Pegasus label. No specific manufacturer can warranty the parts so that's why you have to go through H.D. for any warranty issues. I got some new cartridges shipped to me before from a company that didn't even have a website or 800 number.

I just downloaded the installation specs for the Delta B112900. It does not show the cartridge that you have. So I would say "confirmed". Specialty delta part made exclusively for Home Depot. They did the same thing with American Standard and several supply houses in my area have dropped AS as their signature product. It's a shame. Compromising quality for quantity.

The box touts how durable the valve is, yet it's like $79 with trim included. Junk. I usually recommend Delta because they are reliable and parts are everywhere. Now I need to make sure to tell people to avoid this particular valve. Assembled, it doesn't even feel solid. Very weak and flimsy feeling.
I've also heard that the supply house delta stuff is made better than the big box stuff. It's all about keeping it cheap. Who cares if you have to call a plumber in a year and pay him a couple hundred dollars to service your $50 fixture that you got a great deal on.

DetroitRob said:
The box touts how durable the valve is, yet it's like $79 with trim included. Junk. I usually recommend Delta because they are reliable and parts are everywhere. Now I need to make sure to tell people to avoid this particular valve. Assembled, it doesn't even feel solid. Very weak and flimsy feeling.
I've also heard that the supply house delta stuff is made better than the big box stuff. It's all about keeping it cheap. Who cares if you have to call a plumber in a year and pay him a couple hundred dollars to service your $50 fixture that you got a great deal on.

I've definitely noticed a difference between the whole saler delta faucets and the HD faucets, it's crazy.

I have been using Delta for years. I can understand them wanting to get into the lower priced faucet market. What surprises me is that they put their name on it. Mabey we should offer a discounted service where we almost fix plumbing problems.

:D John

I think that particular valve is the same as the Lowe's Peerless valve . I think delta is putting delta trim for Home Depot and peerless trim for Lowe's.

Was it just me, or were the big box Moen valves problematic a few years ago? Don't recall having any problems with the supply house valves.

It's not just you. Almost all manufacturers have a Big Box store quality product designed for easy install by DIYers. I found the Moen faucets to have trim issues as well as cheap valve bodies/cartridges. Seems many Moen supply house valves are getting cheaper, too. Lead laws are killing durability and quality.

Is funny how I run into 40 year old faucets that might need new washers every 10 years, yet most faucets you install today are junk in 5. People don't stick with what works anymore. They remodel every decade, and styles change I guess.

Back