Shower Trap Installation Woes (Basement/Concrete Floor) With Saniflush/Upflush System

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revisednut1

Reaction score
All, I have installed the Saniflo “Saniaccess 3 UPFLUSH MACERATOR PUMP + ELONGATED TOILET KIT”.

I’ve tied in proper venting, as well as rough-ins for the vanity, shower stall, and toilet. I tested the pump by dumping a bucket of water in the toilet—worked great (pump is quieter than I expected).

This is a new basement bathroom from scratch.

My buddy and I have done a fair bit of plumbing, and everything has tested perfect, except for the p-trap in concrete floor for the shower stall. We broke up about an 8”x8” (4 inches down) area for the body of the trap to fit in, only to realize the outlet of the trap wouldn’t clear the bottom of the shower pan. We stepped down to 1.5” trap, and elongated the trap to bring the outlet past the shower stall. It all appears to have proper pitch, but after a couple hours, a test pool of water still sits in the shower stall. Even raising the stall (and by extension the pan) by 2" side of a 2x4 did not help it drain.

It seems to have pitch, what are we missing!? The idea of busting up the floor for the body of the trap was to hopefully avoid raising the shower pan. Is there an issue making a longer trap, as we pieced a street 90, extension and regular 90 together to make a longer trap to clear the pan on it's way back up.

P.S. We do realize the trap is supposed to be 2” for the shower.

Plumbing1.jpg

Plumbing2.jpg

Plumbing 3.jpg

Plumbing 5.jpg

Plumbing 6.jpg

Plumbing 7.jpg

Update--i've "shimmed" the shower base up with the 4" side of 2x4's and i do get good flow--i guess it's obvious i can't expect water to go UP further than the drain (it'll take the path of least resistance and pile up in the shower/drain, versus flowing to the pump. Any other options, other than building a 2x4 base? Headroom is a consideration, being in the basement...

Do what you need to do to get a real trap under that shower. That homemade thing you made is not going to cut it.

That homemade trap will be the bain of your existence as long as you live there. You will get all kinds of build up and blockage in there.

add a separate sump and pump below concrete.
Was the shower and after thought are just poor planning?
One sump below grade would have taken care of both.

Latest posts

Back