Shower seal over concrete backer?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkohl

Reaction score
My second and last shower question of the night.

I have ins stalled a tileredi shower pan with flashing along the curbs and then concrete backer board. This will not be a steam shower but will have four body sprays and I am interested in making the whole thing as waterproof as possible.

I have been reading about roll on sealers like KBRS Shower Seal which creates a rubberized membrane. Is there any advantage to applying this on top of concrete backer board or is it overkill? Anyone have experience whether travertine tiles will adhere to this type of product okay?

I'm just giving you an educated guess, but if you have sealed the seams in the concrete backer board, that will be sufficient. I'm thinking the rubberized membrane will cause the travertine tiles to not properly adhere to the wall.

Since I am about to tackle a similar project, I would sure love to see some pics of your progress as well!

My second and last shower question of the night.

I have ins stalled a tileredi shower pan with flashing along the curbs and then concrete backer board. This will not be a steam shower but will have four body sprays and I am interested in making the whole thing as waterproof as possible.

I have been reading about roll on sealers like KBRS Shower Seal which creates a rubberized membrane. Is there any advantage to applying this on top of concrete backer board or is it overkill? Anyone have experience whether travertine tiles will adhere to this type of product okay?
Shouldn't be an issue, but I'm not familiar with that product (KBRS). You can always throw coarse sand on the membrane after rolling it on to give it an extra bite for the thin set.

Latest posts

Back