Shower poltergeist

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearshead

Reaction score
I have 2 showers and very gritty water. If I ever need to turn off the main water supply to the house, when I turn it back on again the upstairs shower will start dripping pretty heavily. If I then turn the shower on for a minute and then off again the dripping will stop. My theory is that the act of turning the water back on stirs up a lot of grit which then gets stuck in the faucet allowing water through. So far so good.
Now the downstairs shower is acting up. I replaced the stem and the seat on the cold faucet after it developed a persistent drip, but it made no difference until I flushed the hot water as well. My fingers are crossed that this will work, but if anyone can shed any light on the issue, my analysis of it, and, if necessary, recommend an exorcist if the title of this post is the real explanation I would be very grateful!

I heard Frodo does exorcisms on the side for a can of beer and a high five.

I would focus on dealing with the "gritty water". I presume you're in a well. Are you using any sediment filters or water treatment? If you are bringing up sand that can destroy shower valves and faucets to the point where it needs replacing. If it erodes the housing enough, no seats or cartridges will seal and you will be forever dripping.

What kind of shower controls are they?

Thanks Matt. Not on a well, but our water has a lot of iron in it and when the water is restarted after a switch off it just seems to get churned up. No we don't have a filter, but as you say should probably look into that. Upstairs has a mixer tap by Moen, downstairs has two separate faucets.

The haunting continues....
So I had changed the seat and the stem and all seemed to be well, and then two days later the dripping is back. We do have pretty strong water pressure- could this be forcing its way through or is this just evidence of the housing getting eroded as Matt suggested that it would?

also... seeing as it is the weekend and it will be quite a performance to replace the housing: is there a product that one can pack the seal with to buy a little time?

Latest posts

Back