Shower plumbing design help Grohe 34122 thermo valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many side heads should I use?

• 1 Side head?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 Side heads?

• 3 Side Heads?

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 4 side Heads?

• Total voters
I never aimed to make this shower ADA compliant.
It will be curbless but only a 28" wide entry door. It will not be an ADA sink but I can imagine it's cheaper to convert a sink area than redo a shower. The entry door to this apartment is only 29" wide. A gravel ramp could be paved and used rather than stairs I guess.

My main questions are do I need to redo this entire valve plumbing to locate the flow control valves with arrow up? And move shower hose outlet above the temperature control valve?

Electrical rough in is complete. This is last of plumbing before an inspection exvexcfir mini split drain lines. So much more detail under the drywall than I thought. I have only had about 100 hours of helper time.

arrow up is to shower head if it is a shower valve

what i do, is put the shower wand on the slidy bar hold it up. to the desired height you want
and see where the natural loop of the hose hangs at
where ever that natural loop is, install the outlet

In this case the diverter valve is beloe the outlet of the temperature control valve so I pointed the valve arrow in flow direction. Downward. I also looked at the location for the shower hose outlet by seeing where the hose wanted to be so the loop wasn't tiuchtou a valve. And the shower bar can be mounted to a stud near center of the standing space between door and bench.

How can it make a difference in shower dripping if I have a volume control on off valve pointed up or down. Don't valves with seats work the same in any orientation?

Frodo, .I didn't know it was just a 6-8 drop leak. I thought maybe it was a continuous flow if valves upside down.
And I Still don't see how the hose outlet location above or below the balance valve making a difference. Yes I have OCD. But I also think about if there is an ossue after tile is on.

i just plumbed the short 3' steam line. I sloped it away from the shower like I have read but there will be a rise up 12" at the steam generator I guess any liquid in the line will steam out in the first 10 minutes. I cant ever imagine this creating a slug of water that gurgles or something.

as to reusing fittings. Brass fittings are fine to reuse if you are careful in removing and not scarring the brass. The barbs are a vital part, so, of course be circumspect.
As I posted earlier, be sure to add proper support, which is not present in your pictures.

i talked to grohe tech support he says my design layout ok. I guess they dont mean the on off volume control valve needs the arrow "upward" but the arrow in line with flow direction.. DUH He did advise i get a 3/4" on off valve for 3-4 side heads and my 1/2" would be ok for 2 heads. he also said lower grohe temp valve port has higher flow rate than top because it usually goes to tub spout. This makes sense from a design standpoint but this contradicts a previous talk I with a different Grohe rep. I ordered a new 3/4" from efaucets for 70$ 2 days till arrives.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back