Shower Pipe - Would this work?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ribbits

Whatever Works
Reaction score
Background: We bought a 1949 house. A section of plumbing, my daughter's shower, is basically rusted closed. I had it cleaned and the drain guy got his cleaner stuck. We then paid for a camera to see what was going on. At the Y joint, there is a huge lump of rust created from the pipe, and it is blocking the water. The issue is that this section is in my basement floor. They will have to bust up the concrete floor, and may have to take out the entire section pipe in that area. This is expensive, but will eventually have to be done. I know that.

My question is - The pipe that the shower (1st floor) drains into is in my unfinished laundry room (basement). It is about a foot from the floor drain. Is there any reason why I couldn't connect a pipe to the cleanout section and have it drain into the floor where the laundry water drains? It isn't a permanent solution, but it would let my daughter shower in her own bathroom until we can get it fixed correctly.

Back