Shower Pan leak at drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Thanks, no I think the leak was between the drain pipe and the round black gasket that the lock nut tightens down on."

If its the "brass ring nut" you are referring to check out this web site for a tool that works real good. www.bulldogdraintool.com.

I was going to add my 2 pennies and and relized I almost did the same thing the previous poster did.
Didn't look at the date of the last post.
I hope he's got it fixed by now.

I'm here and I'm on a roll.

I never use the rubber insert.
I pack it with lead wool and oakum.
Similar to packing a cast iron toilet flange.
It will never leak.

Mr. David, I never thought of that.

But haven't you ever come across a leaking lead/oakum joint? I have run across a couple, where the joint was subject to vibration. I would think that a shower floor would definitely move a little.

Mr. David, I never thought of that.

But haven't you ever come across a leaking lead/oakum joint? I have run across a couple, where the joint was subject to vibration. I would think that a shower floor would definitely move a little.

That's the way my employer wanted it done. I never used a plastic drain fitting, only brass. I did have a guy try to pack Lead wool into a fiberglass drain that was pre molded in the pan and he blew out the bottom of the flange. Had to get another pan.

Back