Shower pan instructions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This can be complicated if you have never done it before.
I looked at the link. seems to be pretty detailed. I didn't look at the whole thing though.
I've only done one of these and it was for my own personal shower.
I usually just set the drains and the the guy doing the tile usually lays the pan.

I did the first layer under the plastic sheet and then had a guy who has done alot of these help me fold in the pan. That's the trickiest part.
I didn't install a slip sheet under the first layer.

A more common practice is to have the pan hot mopped with tar instead of folding in a PVC liner

They are good instructions on how to build a shower pan(not a diy project). I have done many, many custom showers. What are you building your shower over? slab or subfloor? You have alot to think about if your going over a sub floor, like right sized joists, proper spacing between joists etc.

Last edited:
Just curious about comment on joint size in regards to being on a sub floor or a slab. Does that really make a difference?

Wow. That's the second time today I mis read something.
I should change my font size to XXXL

They are good instructions on how to build a shower pan(not a diy project). I have done many, many custom showers. What are you building your shower over? slab or subfloor? You have alot to think about if your going over a sub floor, like right sized joists, proper spacing between joists etc.

The joists are 2x10.

Here is the drain.. which has to be offset from the center of the pan because of an HVAC duct that runs thru the floor.

P7160017.jpg

Right now we are planning on a 36" wide by 60" long pan.

I don't like the Sanitary Tee you have 45'ing up into the wall cavity to catch the Lavatory. Can you get a comdo to look up to catch the Lav or do a Wye fitting with a 45 and run the pipes parallel to each other. One will have a Long Sweep 90 looking up for the Lavatory and Vent, and the other will serve the Shower P-trap(vented off the lav)

Thanks for the comments. There's an entire thread about the bathroom drains here.

http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/f2/converting-sink-drain-tub-1644/

There not be a sink on that wall. I haven't removed that 1/2" copper supply piping yet. That is only a vent for the shower. I'll also remove that santee which I thought was needed (or a wye) for a cleanout. And I may also replace the 2 45's to the right with one long sweep 90.

I would leave the 2 45's in place instead of a long sweep. Either will work, but the double 45's are preferable.

I have rolled many, many PVC shower pans. I kind of enjoy it. Dial up connection, so I haven't checked out your link, therefore can't comment on it. What kind of shower configuration are you considering? Walls on 3 sides with a curb on the 4th, all angles 90 degrees, are pretty easy to do. If you can find them, shower pan corner dams, sometimes called dam corners, are the way to go.

I might have a side job with a PVC pan over the next week or so, and if I do, I will try to take pictures.

Back