Shower Pan Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexaccwilson

Reaction score
Hello. I have a contractor working on my shower. We have a pan & are tiling the walls. When he installed it the drain hole didn't fully line up with the plumbing (see photos). He explained to me he's using an offset flange or something to fix it & it will be fine. Can someone advise me if this is a bad idea? and what to do? I want to check before going through with it.

Attachments

• 486C6F14-08DC-48F1-97F2-19FF4008F758.jpeg
    486C6F14-08DC-48F1-97F2-19FF4008F758.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 37069582-AAD2-4ADC-B386-602D25511BA5.jpeg
    37069582-AAD2-4ADC-B386-602D25511BA5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
That looks like an old tub drain shoe. Was the overflow piping removed? Is there a trap? Vent? Is your contractor a plumber?

That looks like an old tub drain shoe. Was the overflow piping removed? Is there a trap? Vent? Is your contractor a plumber?

Hi. I'm not familiar with any terminology. I asked him & this is what I was told - "It’s a new shoe and yes it’s a standing shower. No need for overflow"
"Trap is plummed into the tee behind the wall, running underneath the shower pan to the hole which isn’t center.
Access panel in the closet so that u can easily access it for future clogs"
"The tee is capped off."
He's a contractor. Hope this answers everything. Thank you in advance. :)

Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the piping from the access.

Yeah, it’s wrong. Can’t have that 90 marked in red looking down after the trap before it’s vented.

Yeah, it’s wrong. Can’t have that 90 marked in red looking down after the trap before it’s vented.

Can you explain to me why it's wrong? This was his response - "Maybe just preference and descretion of plumbers but I’m not a rookie either so I know it will work, I've done it before."

I'm getting super worried.

Can you explain to me why it's wrong? This was his response - "Maybe just preference and descretion of plumbers but I’m not a rookie either so I know it will work, I've done it before."

I'm getting super worried.
He adds - "not saying he's wrong, but there's more than one way to be right." And attached this photo. F78A82C0-FC2F-4D0A-AC3F-52546F0DF4FD.jpeg

He’s wrong. If you 90 down after the trap before it’s vented the trap can siphon itself. It’s the form of an S-trap and it’s illegal.

His illustrations do not illustrate what the hack plumber has done.

One of his illustrations is also wrong. It shows a horizontal dry vent below the flood level rim of the fixture and it also shows the crappy sanitary tee on it’s back. But again this illustration doesn’t apply to your situation at all.

I’m Not trying to convince you, I’m simply telling you that it’s not proper and it’s illegal.

Last edited:
If you 90 down after the trap before it’s vented the trap can siphon itself. It’s the form of an S-trap and it’s illegal.

His illustrations do not illustrate what the hack plumber has done.

One of his illustrations is also wrong. It shows a horizontal dry vent below the flood level rim of the fixture and it also shows the crappy sanitary tee on it’s back. But again this illustration doesn’t apply to your situation at all.

I’m Not trying to convince you, I’m simply telling you that it’s not proper and it’s illegal.

Thank you so much for this insight. I'm very worried now because I don't want to be liable for any leaks or anything.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

It's a running trap and an S trap. There is no vent for the trap. It will siphon itself dry. Depending on your local code if that drain is 1 1/2" it may not be to code either. Is this job permitted or getting inspected?

" I’m not a rookie either so I know it will work, I've done it before."
He's not a plumber either....

It may work, but you will also have sewer stink in your bathroom at some point, most likely reoccurring.

In addition to the above, why the hell didn't he put the drain in the right place? What is going on the walls? Is the wall on the left mudded in at the bottom to meet the pan and the rest are just open to the stud bay?1704562089267.png

This looks like a hack job by some one who has never built a shower before. There may be such a thing but I've never heard of an offset shower drain. What other work is this "contractor" doing for you?

I guarantee you this is going to leak, STOP right now and find someone who has a clue what they are doing.

You might want to post this at the John Bridge tile forum, get some tile pros opinions.

Joe H

1704642606837.png

There's no way that offset drain is going into or onto that fitting, so what is the plan? What does the pan manufacturer say to use? Who supplied the pan?
The picture looks like a 90, not a trap. Have you poured water in there to see what happens? If it's a trap there should be water standing in there, I don't see that.

What's under the pan, what is supporting it? Take your shoes off and walk on it, is it solid or does it flex? I see open space, a cheap pan like that has to be set in mortar or it will crack and you'll be starting over (again).

I've only done mud showers so maybe I'm wrong but this looks like a disaster, every post here is telling you it's wrong so maybe it's time to listen.

Again, nothing in your pictures looks like he has any idea what he is doing.

Joe H

Attachments

• 1704642134639.png
    1704642134639.png
    325.3 KB · Views: 0
Call a different reliable plumbing company and have them look it over and maybe they can solve your problem. I agree with
Joe and loose this guy. Looks like the walls are to wide for the base and he just filled it in.

Latest posts

Back