Shower leak from drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16231

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been browsing the forum and think I have my answer, but I wanted to post some pictures and confirm before I went out to buy supplies. I have a condo in a large building and my standalone shower has been leaking into the unit beneath me (through the light fixture). The neighbor mentioned it had been going on for a while (I'm guessing at least a few days), and word had not gotten back to me from the property manager. Anyway, I went ahead and checked the lower and top sides of the shower to see if the caulk or plaster had been punctured, but everything looked okay and sealed well. No water was leaking on the outside of the shower either. So I checked the drain and I saw the mess in the attached pictures (bottom of this post).

You'll have to forgive my non-technical language here, but in the inner rim (between the pipe and brass ring), there was some sitting water which had not drained. It seems like there was some caulk in there, but it's nearly all gone. Also, you'll see a black rubbery film on the outer edge that is nearly completely peeled away. I just recently moved here and this was the first time I checked out the drain or was aware it might even be an issue. I can't see very far down the pipe itself, and needless to say I'm hoping the issue is just that I need a caulking/sealing agent to fix the leak. In other showers I've seen, there has been a 2-inch or so gasket that you replace, but (as a big novice here) with this shower drain, I'm not really understanding how/if that applies here. It seems like I just had the steel lid strainer part.

Thanks for any help.

20180720_142858.jpg

20180720_142912.jpg

kneel right over the shower drain see if you can move it around....if it does move you need to access the nut on the under side of the tub loosen it up repuddy under the brass part of the drain then retighten....you also need to check the condition of the gaskets underneath the brass nut.....

the other place it can leak is were the caulking is ….under that should be a rubber gasket...or if its older lead and oakum...….

kneel right over the shower drain see if you can move it around....if it does move you need to access the nut on the under side of the tub loosen it up repuddy under the brass part of the drain then retighten....you also need to check the condition of the gaskets underneath the brass nut.....

the other place it can leak is were the caulking is ….under that should be a rubber gasket...or if its older lead and oakum...….

Thanks, much appreciated. As a first step, I just replaced the caulk around the pipe and also caulked the edge of the strainer. It's been a few days and no leaks (fingers crossed).

Latest posts

Back