Shower In Basement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wd40

Reaction score
Hello,
When I had my house built we had a bathroom in the basement roughed in which included a shower. We are looking to start a project to finish it up. We are looking to put a shower pan in and I don't get how the drain was set up. The drain is set into the wall, not the center of the floor. I'm not sure if the way it's set up if I can get a shower pan in . Unfortunately my house has a high water table and I couldn't get a better picture. Do I just need to connect the drain into the wall pipe? Or do I need to figure out how to get a p-trap in there?

20200925_180507.jpg20200925_174047.jpg20200925_174035.jpg20200925_174025.jpg

Looks like you need to add a sump pit and pump.

If you already have one, the water level needs to be lowered.

Do you have any drawings which show the layout of the bathroom? Could the dwv pipe in the picture be for a vent, and the actual drain buried under a then layer of concrete? Sometimes the plumber will leave rough in plumbing, with duct tape on the ends, and the concrete crew will just place mud over the top of it. Take about a 16-oz hammer and tap in the area where the drain should have been, and see if it sounds hollow.

I have a problem with the framing of the wall. I see standard framing lumber, and at least the wood in direct contact with the concrete should have been pressure treated. And, I would have specified that all the wood behind the shower be pressure treated. Nearly all showers eventually develop some kind of leak. You don’t want the framing rotting from moisture caused by a small slow leak.

Back