Shower head air intake?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcride

Reaction score
Hi, just installed the Moen Align shower head and tub valve. The actual valve that they gave me was a basic moen $65 pos temp? Valve.

When I turn on the valve I get a loud air intake noise coming from the shower nipple and putting my thumb over it while the tub is running seems to decrease the water flow slightly.

Bad cartridge ?

Video

[ame]https://vimeo.com/157788234[/ame]

Called plumbing house, they said go through moen, called moen and they are sending me a new cartridge. That would be the only replaceable part.

I have never noticed a sucking sound from a shower nipple while running a tubspout. Though I have in the past noticed a valve not flowing quite as much with the shower text nipple capped off. Don't remember what valve it was, though.

Did you try it with the showerhead installed?

Yea it just muffles the suck a bit but still noticed.

No it's not upside down, hot is in the left, cold on the right. Also if it was upside down then by turning it on water would instantly come out the shower head...

It's the cartridge, I've talked to some local plumbers and they are seeing them In these moen.

I'll report back soon.

In your picture that notch is facing up, the instructions say it must be down which mine is. Is it possible that I've turned the valve 360 degrees the wrong way to get that notch up? When you don't have it assembled that handle mount can turn with no stop. I'm wondering now if I've over turned it??

See attached pic.
attachment.php

image.jpg

Then reading online I saw this

"He claimed that the valve in the diverter was loose and air could come in."

Plausible?

In your picture that notch is facing up, the instructions say it must be down which mine is. Is it possible that I've turned the valve 360 degrees the wrong way to get that notch up? When you don't have it assembled that handle mount can turn with no stop. I'm wondering now if I've over turned it??

See attached pic.
attachment.php

The notch in the cartridge has nothing to do with the orientation of the valve

it [cartridge] can be inserted into the body of the valve either way.

it is the body of the valve I suspect is upside down.

pull the cover off and look

I checked out the video pcride posted, and I believe (not 100% sure), that the valve is not installed upside down. I think I see the telltale "Moen bump" on the top of the valve.

Received the new cartridge and it's much easier to turn the handle and when I took the old one out there was a big piece of sediment stuck in the opening on the cartridge contributing to the problem.

The loud roar noise is lessened and the water flow doesn't get affected when covering the shower head spout.

New issue is the moen diverter valve that screws onto the chrome spout coming out of the wall doesn't make a connection because the washer gets pushed up inside that spout and there is still play between the threaded collar on the diverter valve and valve body. Just another ****ty design by moen.

I've actually had this washer problem with another hand held sprayer I had hooked up. Could easily be solved by having a harder washer that doesn't bend as much, or a small rim on the chrome spout where the washer will sit on.

Moen sending me a new one to try. :(

Back