Shower Handle Replacement Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hund1832

Reaction score
Hello, I have been dealing with this issue for several years and have been partially fixing it each time, but am not sure the correct way to fix it. Glad I found this forum as I have not been able to get straight answers anywhere else!

Simply put, the shower handle broke in our spare bathroom a few years ago. I don't believe it was the original knob or trim kit from when the house was built. I replaced the knob with a universal replacement, but also changed out the mixing valve in the process to get a stem that would fit the knob. Bottom line is that it has all been half-way fixed in what I feel like is a haphazard way (knob never turned smoothly, etc). It also seems weird to me that to turn the faucet on, you turn the knob to the right, not the left. I am nod sure if I have a valve installed upside down or what. I would like to fix it correctly and maybe even change out the faucet and shower head as well.

My question is, if I want to replace the handle, faucet, and shower head, will I need to take out the current plumbing and put in new plumbing to match whatever kit I get? I was hoping to not have to do this, but wasn't sure if there are any replacement kits that would fit my existing setup. I will attach the pictures I have for reference.

Thanks so much for any and all advice!

Andy

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
That’s a Kohler faucet.

You can get all the parts and trim easily.

Someone put a fit-all handle adapter on that faucet. Bad move.

I suggest you buy all Kohler factory parts.

That’s a Kohler faucet.

You can get all the parts and trim easily.

Someone put a fit-all handle adapter on that faucet. Bad move.

I suggest you buy all Kohler factory parts.
Thanks for the advice!

So I should be able to buy a Kohler replacement kit and be able to install it without having to change out any of the plumbing? I am just looking for something simple like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/KOHLER-Alt...1-Handle-Bathtub-and-Shower-Faucet/1003088252

Thanks again!

I feel like the faucet sticks out much further from the wall than it should? When I look at installation guides for Kohler products (like the one linked above), it doesn't seem like it would fit on there to me. Maybe I am wrong though.

That does look like it is roughed in pretty far forward. When your current trim is on is there a gap between the faceplate and wall?

That does look like it is roughed in pretty far forward. When your current trim is on is there a gap between the faceplate and wall?
There is not a gap. It seems like every installation instruction manual I look at for replacement faucets have pictures of a unit that is mounted further back. Looking like I may need to come in from behind and replace the whole thing, but I wanted to see if anyone knew of any potential solutions first.

Unless factory trim fits differently you should be fine

So this was actually the faucet that was on when I first started having issues. Not sure if this was the original or not. Just the one that was there when I moved in. Does this appear to be a Kohler as well? It was also fitted with a more universal style knob as seen below.

Attachments

• IMG_3835.jpeg
    IMG_3835.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3832.jpeg
    IMG_3832.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Send the pictures to kohler support and they’ll tell you what’s made for it.

Kohler is literally printed on the escutcheon plat
Kohler is literally printed on the escutcheon plate.
Yea, I definitely see that it is printed on there. However, if I had to guess, this was a replacement part that seemed to be patchworked together with a different knob. The escutcheon plate does not match the shower head or bath faucet in appearance, therefore I assumed it was not the original part that was on there.

I appreciate the advice to send to Kohler support. I will give that a try.

Ok I am back and about to rip this thing out of the wall. I ordered the correct parts (cross matched above suggestions with Kohler’s instruction) and am having no luck. I believe a lot of it stems from how far forward my valve is mounted (see pic, it is actually anterior to the tile wall).

When I am trying to install the valve trim and lever with the retro cartridge, it looks like I should use an adapter to attach the metal sleeve to before attaching the handle. However, this does not thread down far enough to be installed properly (see picture).

When I use the K-304 cartridge (picture) the metal sleeve goes right over it, however the escutcheon plate doesn’t fit (see picture).

Am I missing something obvious here? Or is my plumbing just mounted too far forward? Kinda at a loss right now.

Attachments

• IMG_7898.jpeg
    IMG_7898.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7894.jpeg
    IMG_7894.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7899.jpeg
    IMG_7899.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7893.jpeg
    IMG_7893.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7892.jpeg
    IMG_7892.jpeg
  • IMG_7896.jpeg
    IMG_7896.jpeg
  • IMG_7897.jpeg
    IMG_7897.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I ripped my mother in laws kohler out.

It was roughed in too far forward.

I got rid of the thorn ( kohler) before it caused me anymore trouble.

I ripped my mother in laws kohler out.

It was roughed in too far forward.

I got rid of the thorn ( kohler) before it caused me anymore trouble.
You think that’s my best bet here? Sounds like she was in the same position I’m in. Nothing seems to fit right for this unit that was installed in ‘93.

If I do go that route, what brand would you recommend?

Back