Shower Drain Flange - Drain Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Unfortunately, I can't figure out what to do with my shower stall (no tub) drain. Can someone please help me? I removed the pop-in drain cover (metal) to clean it. After removing the drain cover grate (metal), I noticed that the seal between the 2" down-pipe (has purple PVC glue shown on it) and the piece above was failing. You can see in my image that the old clear PVC glue seal between the down-pipe and the portion above was flaking off (yellow seal pics). My shower pan isn't leaking (that I'm aware of). My home is 6 years old and this shower is on the second floor. Thank you very much for your assistance with this, I greatly appreciate it!

Do I need to install one of the black rubber seals (I found someone online who had one that appears to slip into the space I have in the drain flange above the drain pipe and will sit flush against the drain pipe? Or do I need to install something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BO4RVI/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1. If so, do you use purple PVC glue to connect the bottom of that part to the top of the 2" drain pipe?

Should I also replace the drain pan flange or no (if it's not leaking)? I read a post on here and he said you can remove it with this tool: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IG42488/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1.

Attachments

• shower-drain-flange.jpg
    shower-drain-flange.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • old-shower-drain-seal.jpg
    old-shower-drain-seal.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 0
  • possible-shower-rubber-seal.PNG
    possible-shower-rubber-seal.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That little bit of glue just looks like extra that spooged out when the pipe was glued in. A glue in flange does not require that rubber seal.

Thank you very much Sheplmbr. I figured I needed to seal the top of the drain pipe (the purple area) with a silicone sealant or add that seal. You're the best!

That looks to me like a "no caulk" shower pan drain. It does need a seal. that is what that threaded ring does, push down on the rubber seal, which is like a compression fitting of sorts.

Thank you both for your replies. It seems that we have a difference of opinion. Can I please get some other follow ups so I can form a general consensus as to what should be done to solve this issue? Use a seal or don't? Is it a glued shower pan drain or a no caulk version? It was installed in 2017 if that matters. Thank you all very much!

Alll in all, it does look glued 100%.

But in your pic, you show a "no caulk" drain gasket and compression ring. In truth, the gasket is doing nothing in the picture. If the pipe is glue into the drain carrier, the gasket should not even be there. My guess is someone who did not know what they were doing put the two together.

Thanks for your reply Pipe Dreams, I really appreciate it! The black seal in my pics was an example I saw on the internet. Mine didn't have any seal. I just added this seal after your reply and it seems to be working well. What do you think about this? It doesn't require any glue and doesn't have any issues with drainage flow. It slipped into the hole in the pipe perfectly and the top of the seal sits on top of the internal drain pipe and fits well. Your thoughts? Thanks again.

To anyone interested, here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091S43BTW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AUU1KYNERU7US&psc=1

Thanks for your reply Pipe Dreams, I really appreciate it! The black seal in my pics was an example I saw on the internet. Mine didn't have any seal. I just added this seal after your reply and it seems to be working well. What do you think about this? It doesn't require any glue and doesn't have any issues with drainage flow. It slipped into the hole in the pipe perfectly and the top of the seal sits on top of the internal drain pipe and fits well. Your thoughts? Thanks again.

To anyone interested, here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091S43BTW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AUU1KYNERU7US&psc=1
To be honest I am lost......the link you provide goes to a "Trap Guard" which you dont need. Looking back at your OP,Ii really do not understand what the problem was. Are you getting a sewer smell though the shower drain? If it is "working" ride on.

Hello, let me clarify... No, I actually had zero issues without adding anything to the drain. The p-trap below my shower always has water in it and I never noticed a smell. However, I thought it was shaped so something should go inside of the hole (meaning on top of the drain tube). However, I installed that piece and it fit so I thought I did a good thing. However, if it's not needed maybe I should just remove it and not add an additional future point of failure or in case something breaks off from it and clogs my pipes downstream? Thanks again for your help as you can see, I have no idea about plumbing...

Hello, let me clarify... No, I actually had zero issues without adding anything to the drain. The p-trap below my shower always has water in it and I never noticed a smell. However, I thought it was shaped so something should go inside of the hole (meaning on top of the drain tube). However, I installed that piece and it fit so I thought I did a good thing. However, if it's not needed maybe I should just remove it and not add an additional future point of failure or in case something breaks off from it and clogs my pipes downstream? Thanks again for your help as you can see, I have no idea about plumbing...
Right, so remove the thing and proceed.

Thanks again Pipe Dreams, removed and good to go. I just wanted to make sure because it looked unfinished. Thank you both, you guys are the best! This will hopefully help others who are "clueless" like me!

That looks to me like a "no caulk" shower pan drain. It does need a seal. that is what that threaded ring does, push down on the rubber seal, which is like a compression fitting of sorts.
It's a glue on drain.

Latest posts

Back