Shower control valve removal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinB

Reaction score
I am trying to repair/replace the shower control valve cartridge which is severely leaking when valve is on. I understand that I need to remove the round metal housing ring in order to get to the retaining clip that holds the cartridge in, but I can't get it to pull out. It feels like it's locked in with the plastic backing plate shown in the picture. I've pulled and pulled on the metal ring and it won't budge with the gray plastic there. Any ideas on how to get the cartridge out? I know I'm probably missing something simple! Thanks for any advice!

image.jpg

you should just be able to wiggle the collar up and down and it will pull out. or you can open the fiberglass some more and remove the template. there is a lock pin that is under the collar that holds the cartridge in. it is a moen cartridge

Don't remove the plastic template that's what is holding the valve body in place. The chrome sleeve should pull out.

LOL....should be strapped down,,,you reck'n

that plastic ring is supposed to come off after sheet rock...i usually smack em with a pair of channel locks..send em flying, so i dont have to find that screw up in that hole
then trim it out...that just me.

There is no sheet rock. That is a fiberglass unit. The valve body is being held in place by plastic sleeve being sand witched between the fiberglass ans the trim plate.

i ,,put a 1x2 inbetween the fiberglass and valve then,,,thru the trim plate hole..I 2 hole strap the 1x2 to the pipe.

it sandwich's the valve,,like your doing,,will not fall out when you take off the face plate

different approach, same thing

OP,
I have the same control in my basement bath. That chrome/ stainless piece pulls straight off. If it's stuck you might have to grab an edge with a pliers then tap the pliers outward with a hammer. After that comes off you'll see the top edge of a U shaped brass clip. That pries up easily with a small screwdriver. After that, the cartridge pulls straight out. Sometimes they are stuck also. When mine was stuck I threaded a longish bolt into the front of the cart, grabbed the head of the bolt with a vice grips, then tapped the vice grips outward.

if it is strapped properly it will not move all that plastic piece is for is to give you a guide on valve placement nothing more. if that is all that is holding valve then what keeps it from getting pushed backwards when new cartridge is installed. you do have to apply some pressure.

Latest posts

Back