Shower Cold Valve Clogged - What do I do?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jborchel

Reaction score
Attached is a picture of my shower valve. When I turn on the house water only the hot come out. It used to work but it hasn't been used in over a year and it's clogged. Before I call the plumber is there a way to unclog it? Perhaps the screw farthest right? The collar comes off but the screw is too tight for me to easily move. What is the round valve to the left of the screw? It looks to be 1.5 to 2 inches deep.

DSCN2549.jpg

I've had luck with a zip tie and shoving it in the port it needs to be something sturdy yet fleible to put in the cold side port and attempt to break up the clog if not you will have to replace the valve

Does the ninety degree turn move in a smooth curve so that zip tie can get around the corner? I have looked into the valve but cannot tell because of standing water. I tried a coat hanger but it seemed to get hung up.

That's why I use a zip tie it might not work but it's probs your only shot

pb blast will help dissolve the corrosion. Meanwhile see that screw head on the right? see if you can turn it to the left. Those are shut offs. Might have got some junk up in there too.

pb blast will help dissolve the corrosion. Meanwhile see that screw head on the right? see if you can turn it to the left. Those are shut offs. Might have got some junk up in there too.
Sorry, what is a pb blast?

I may need a bigger screw driver or more muscles but the screw on the right seems frozen. Would liquid wrench work on it?

PBlaster is a penetrating oil much like Liquid Wrench. It does seem to work better than anything else I have tried. I agree with John, it is more than likely a frozen balancing spool. That spool is located in the "round thing" between the screwdriver valve and the main valve body.

Latest posts

Back