Shower channel drain?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJay

Moron
Reaction score
Anyone have much experience installing a channel drain in a shower or anywhere else for that matter?

I know that they can be very pricey, but I have seen some that aren't super expensive.

It looks like using one would make the process of making a mud shower base and tiling it a lot easier as the issue of the correct slope isn't a difficult to deal with. Also, on the shower we are building, due to an HVAC duct, the drain for the shower will be offset quite a bit making getting the slope correct with a round drain even harder to do correctly.

Any thoughts or tips?

Alan

Hi Ajay...

I myself am pretty uninformed on this matter, but I myself have been perusing Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile - Powered by vBulletin tiling website and they have some very knowledgeable people with lots of pictures of exactly what you are referring to. I'd recommend signing up over there and ask the professional tile setters for their advice.

Hey dude...

I'm very ashamed to say I've also been slumming over at
North American Tile Forum which is where I got the idea...

Yes... I've been cheating on ya'll! :p

I'll check your link as the NATF is more about tiling and less the plumbing.

That's OK. Since I'm doing a 1000 sq. ft. tile job right now, I myself am learning lots on this other forum. PF, please forgive me!

Ajay, we aren't worried. You love us and will be back for the great, witty company!

That's OK. Since I'm doing a 1000 sq. ft. tile job right now, I myself am learning lots on this other forum. PF, please forgive me!

I'm going to try Ditra for the floor under the tile and might use Kerdi board in the shower. I like all that orange and red!!

I'll be paying close attention. That Kerdi stuff is amazing. Isn't Ditra the waffle looking stuff?

Great pics!

I was surprised to see radiant floor kits available at Lowe's when I was shopping there yesterday. I'd like to also incorporate that in my bath as well.

Lowe's also has some channel drains... I just need to figure out which ones to use..

the point of this thread! :p

Additional research has shown the channels drains to be way too expensive.

So it's back to the Kerdi drain on a mud bed.

Back