Shower and Toilet backup

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handyman1

Reaction score
I am just looking for somme general guidance on an complicated issue before I call a plumber. I will try to make this as short as possible.

My toilet has been having issues but they are intermittent. Some times the toilet won't flush completely as in the bowl won't empty all of its contents. Some times it does on the second flush sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you flush it and it will fill the bowl but not empty the water it just fills up and stays there. then it will drain a few minutes later. Yesterday my daughter flushed the toilet and the bowl filled up then the toilet leaked it contents through the drywall of my basement ceiling. The toilet is on the upper level of a split level. There was no water in the bathroom itself and the leak did not appear to be right under the toilet although its hard to tell because of the drywall.

Today I flushed the toilet and it drained fine with no issues.

Previously (over a year ago) the shower that is in the same bathooms drain leaked it what appeared to be the same area of the basement but only after being filled up for a bath and then drained. It never leaked before or after the bath. That shower, when water is run, is now draining down into the basement into a lift station line instead of going out the main line (which makes no sense to me) Running this shower used to make the water in the toilet bubble or make noises but it was very sporadic and it hasn't done that for months.

I was thinking vent issue or possible partial clog but does anyone know what would cause intermittent issues like this? I hope this makes as much sense as possible.

If there is a better forum for this question please let me know.

Thanks

Back