Should we run water in empty house.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brit

Reaction score
Hi All,
We will have to leave our house empty for 6 months.

The main water to the house will be left on for the lawn sprinkler system. Should we have a friend periodically run the kitchen tap or should we turn off all shutoffs in the house under sinks/toilets etc.
Hot water tank will be shut off ( both cold water and gas) but not drained. Half the house has galvanized pipes the other half copper. The hose was built in 1946. We live in southern California so freezing should not be a problem.

Thanks Bob

At my vacation home, I isolated the irrigation from the home water. This way, I shut off all the water inside the house without touching the irrigation. This I feel is the best way to deal with the problem.

This is not a vacation home but my main residence so changing irrigation would be a very expensive endeavor. The cold water goes through the house to the back yard.

I suppose what I am asking is by letting water sit in the pipes does this cause excess corrosion, deterioration or electrolysis problems. Also as I said the hot water heater input will be turned off and the hot water tap opened to release any pressure in the system.

Thanks bob

If you can't turn the water off better have your friend checking the house often. Especially if you have galvanized pipe that is still in service. I have seen water running out front doors from leaks. When I go on a weeks vacation I turn the water off in my own house. I also recommend it to my customers.

John

Thanks john,
The house is approx 2ft above ground with the old galvanized pipe running under the house any leaks will mainly be under the house. There is a crawl space. I am seriously thinking of replacing the old galvanized with PEX.

The reason I am leaving the house empty is we have to return to UK to take care of aged parents who are 90 + and am not sure if we will move there for an indefinite time. When we return then either put our house up for rent or sale.

If we rent out then need to redo plumbing anyway if we sell then it will be up to the buyer if they want to upgrade. Everything working fine so far, but as a rental I do not want any plumbing problems while away.

I can pre-plum under house with PEX tubing tie wrapped to the existing piping and when necessary disconnect old pipes and connect the PEX.

Bob

Back