Should I Replace My Well Cap/Seal?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coleman123

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I purchased a new home 10 months ago and we are now on a well-a first for me.

We began to notice a very strong odor in our water within a few months of living here and so I began the long process of trying to fix the water softener/water filter/iron filter/etc. Finally, after being unsuccessful at ridding the smell, I learned about "shocking" my well.

After gathering all the materials and doing all the bleach calculations, I felt I was ready to get this job done. Unfortunately, I have been unable to remove the "vent" screw/cap/nut on the top of my well cap/seal.

I began to look for advice on how to remove this nut by Googling the part but I can't find it anywhere.

It is a: Martinson A-61 3504742

My question is, judging by the images I have attached, would you replace this cap/seal, use a certain method for opening vent, or do something else?

I appreciate your time and thank you in advance!
IMG-0003.jpgIMG-0004.jpgIMG-0006.jpgIMG-0005.jpg

Never seen one like that and can't find any info on it either. The plug should come out, it is just rusted in. Might need to rig up and impact wrench to break it loose. Or need a good back up to keep the well seal from spinning when using a cheater on the plug. Smell is usually from sulfur. Regular shocking will help. Aerating the water is better. Look at the Sulfur Eliminator which aerates the water in the well.

Florida should not need a pitless adapter to keep from freezing. You may want to switch to a regular well seal.

Big pressure tanks like that are not the norm anymore. As a new well owner it would pay you to watch this.

Latest posts

Back