Should I lay steel tub in mortar, or use manufacturer's provided foam pad?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amodoko

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
One last question, the tub I bought says to use it's styrofoam pad as the support under my steel tub. It says removal of the pad will void the warranty. The thing is, the user of this tub will weigh 425 pounds... and even though the tub is steel and should hold up fine... I'm a tad concerned that a styrofoam pad may not be enough.

Should I void my warranty, go against manufacturer's instructions, and lay the tub in mortar? Or should I just stick with the styrofoam pad?

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, thanks John, I appreciate it! I will use the foam pad then. I was concerned because the man that will be using the tub is 425 pounds, and he had cracked a previous tub that was a fiberglass tub. Even though this tub is steel, I am still concerned. The tub is just a basic steel tub that was $100. It shouldn't crack since it is steel, but it could bend if the foam pad wore down over time due to his extreme weight... right?

If the tub did bend, couldn't it put a strain on the tub shoe - drain connection, possibly causing a leak in plumbing? I may be overthinking this, but I wanted to make sure the foam pad could support a 425 pound man. I know cast iron would be better, but I did not want to deal with the installation of such a heavy tub since I would be doing it myself... so steel was the next best option.

Anyways, I'm still going to just install it with the foam pad, but still want to hear your thoughts about potential bending, etc. I even tried contacting the manufacturer about the weight of the user and the pad... and they won't give me a response.

okay, thanks a bunch John, I will definitely put the stringer/ledger up on the back. Take care

Latest posts

Back