Should I be upset

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBeronte

Reaction score
This is how my plumber just replaced my main water valve. He said he did it this way because the pipes did not align and he didn't have any soft copper. My water pressure here is 41 psi, already a bit low. Is it being unreasonable of me to want this replaced with a straight shot, and how hard would it be to now do this with soft copper? They don't want to do it again and plumber is now telling me it would be extremely difficult to redo even with soft copper because of the short section that would have to be bent. Thanks much for your help.

Water Main Line.jpg

Last edited:
It could have been done with two 45's at least. I also don't think I would have faced the ball valve in that direction. Bottom line is did it effect your water pressure? I don't think it would be noticeable. But if it did have him do it over.

John

Thanks John. How hard of a job do you think it would be to replace with straight shot of soft copper. Aren't there tools to help bend small sections into submission? Thanks again

Without seeing it it's hard to tell. My first thought when looking at the photo was he should have been able to move the line in the ground to line it up. But like i said without being there it's hard to tell.

John

I would agree he probably could have done with a 45 an a street 45 at worst. Ive needier had to do an offset in main shut offs I've ever done

It looks like the underground service piping is soft copper... And it looks like he could have made the appropriate adjustments to the lower portion of piping (soft copper) without needing 45's. Looks sloppy to me. Also, I would have installed the ball valve at the lowest point and rotated it so the handle is more easily accessible.

Maybe he didn't have a slip coupling or copper union on his truck??

I highly doubt your flow rates will be affected enough to notice. Your best ammunition would be to express the lack of craftsmanship in my opinion.

Back