Short Rough-in Toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Kohler Serif tank is discontinued, but I just saw some still for sale online.

Maybe Kohler can tell you a tank/bowl combo that has the most clearance from the tank lid to the wall, in ten inch rough in.

PS lots of tank lids have a sloppy fit, and can be slid forward a little.
The last Kohler reps I talked to sounded like they were eating Frosted Flakes while watching price is right in the back ground.

I swear.......

Here's a crazy idea, Toto makes 10", 12" and 14" unifit toilets that adjust the distance from the wall based on the length of the gray plastic unifit adaptor that gets bolted to the floor. The trap is in the toilet, so the adapter is just a lateral pipe. If you took the 10" adapter and cut 1 to 1.5 inches out of the middle and weld the unit back together with epoxy of maybe even a PVC cement. On the 10" unifit it would be incredibly tight... you'd need to encroach on the wax-ring circle, do a bunch of Dremmel-tool work. But that would beat having to grind the back off a ceramic tank lid.

If it worked you would have your choice of some of the best flushing toilets I have ever found, and a range of styles to choose from. My local restore had a bunch of extra 12" adapters for $10 that could be used as a test case, and my supply house has a bunch of 12" adapters that plumbers and I have given them because we needed 10" rough ins and the 12" came with the toilet.

Photo is of 10" Toto adapter... pretty tight but doable I think.

s-l1600.jpg

Here's a crazy idea, Toto makes 10", 12" and 14" unifit toilets that adjust the distance from the wall based on the length of the gray plastic unifit adaptor that gets bolted to the floor. The trap is in the toilet, so the adapter is just a lateral pipe. If you took the 10" adapter and cut 1 to 1.5 inches out of the middle and weld the unit back together with epoxy of maybe even a PVC cement. On the 10" unifit it would be incredibly tight... you'd need to encroach on the wax-ring circle, do a bunch of Dremmel-tool work. But that would beat having to grind the back off a ceramic tank lid.

If it worked you would have your choice of some of the best flushing toilets I have ever found, and a range of styles to choose from. My local restore had a bunch of extra 12" adapters for $10 that could be used as a test case, and my supply house has a bunch of 12" adapters that plumbers and I have given them because we needed 10" rough ins and the 12" came with the toilet.

Photo is of 10" Toto adapter... pretty tight but doable I think.

View attachment 28128
I’ve done that before. Connect the unifit back together with a fernco. It’s still working. Been there since those first came out.

We went from 12” to 10” the10” unifits were on back order from Asia.

Latest posts

Back