Short Rough-in Toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumpThatSump

Reaction score
I have a difficult toilet install with a 8 inch rough-in. I can't move the flange forward because of a beam that's in the way and can't get an offset flange in there. I can't move the wall any further back.

I have a BRIGGS toilet bowl (10 inch rough-in) that will fit over the flange, but the tank will not install after installing the bowl. Are there offset adapters for the TANK that would work or, better yet, does someone make a narrow (front to back) tank that would install on the BRIGGS bowl that has a 2 inch flush valve opening?

Another solution would be to find a tank that could be installed on the wall. Does anybody make something like that? Then I would need something that would attach to the tank and to the bowl to route the water. Where would I find a pipe like that?

Any suggestions?

Can't you notch the beam after reinforcing it?

I had a customer with a toilet from approx 1900.
It had a wall hung tank with a short approx 4 inch pipe connecting it to the bowl.
American Standard I think.
I don’t know what the setback was on the bowl.
You might find reproductions of vintage stuff.

There are some ten inch toilets with more dainty tanks that might let you closer to the wall.
Many toilets have a full diagram online with all the dimensions listed.

I would not stay committed to your Briggs bowl, you are just adding another hurdle to get over by finding a matching tank that fits.

I had a customer with a toilet from approx 1900.
It had a wall hung tank with a short approx 4 inch pipe connecting it to the bowl.
American Standard I think.
I don’t know what the setback was on the bowl.
You might find reproductions of vintage stuff.

There are some ten inch toilets with more dainty tanks that might let you closer to the wall.
Many toilets have a full diagram online with all the dimensions listed.

I would not stay committed to your Briggs bowl, you are just adding another hurdle to get over by finding a matching tank that fits.
Those are typically 14” rough.

I’ve seen people cut into the wall. 2” of the tank up into the wall. 🤷‍♂️🤣✌️

Are you measuring eight inches to the wall?

Or eight inches to the baseboard, or to the shoe molding?

Can you post a pic with a tape measure, showing the exact distance from the wall to the center of the flange?

If you could use a 1” offset flange a 10” Toto drake will fit. If the wall is plumb.

I found a story online where a guy had a rough in well under 10.
He found that a Kohler Wellworth bowl with a Serif tank would just fit on an 8.5 inch rough in.

And you can sometimes tip the tank a little bit forward of level, depends what type of tank to bowl gasket it uses.
Some of them let you cheat a little.
A slight tilt likely won’t affect the operation.
Unless you have some goofy flush tower type of piston dealio.

And I would add extra tank washers, stainless washers, and nuts directly under the tank to make those tank bolts water tight.
And just use the final set to hold the tank onto the bowl.

I found a story online where a guy had a rough in well under 10.
He found that a Kohler Wellworth bowl with a Serif tank would just fit on an 8.5 inch rough in.

And you can sometimes tip the tank a little bit forward of level, depends what type of tank to bowl gasket it uses.
Some of them let you cheat a little.
A slight tilt likely won’t affect the operation.
Unless you have some goofy flush tower type of piston dealio.

And I would add extra tank washers, stainless washers, and nuts directly under the tank to make those tank bolts water tight.
And just use the final set to hold the tank onto the bowl.
That's what I was thinking. I don't care if I have to buy another bowl and marry it with another manufacturer's tank just to get it to fit. I haven't been able to find detailed dimensions that show the length, width, and height of the tank along with the distance of the flush valve hole placement in the bottom. I think if I could find a tank narrow enough, I could make something work.

Cheat the bolts to the front and a 10” drake might fit. Others might too.
10” drake will fit in a 9” space., The toilet you have might fit.

The bolts can be cheated forward as long as the horn still is sitting in the pipe. That 4” pipe, room to cheat.,

If you check Google for “toilet for eight inch rough in”, you will find the info I posted and also from Twowaxhack.

And other ideas, but most will say to install a one inch offset flange.

The Kohler Serif tank is discontinued, but I just saw some still for sale online.

Maybe Kohler can tell you a tank/bowl combo that has the most clearance from the tank lid to the wall, in ten inch rough in.

PS lots of tank lids have a sloppy fit, and can be slid forward a little.

Latest posts

Back