Sharkbite failure or bad installation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seekingopinions

Reaction score
I am being told the fitting failed by the company that installed my solar hot water heater. A leak was discovered less than three months after installation and it appears they wrapped it with X-treme Tape Silicone Rubber Self Fusing tape. Fast forward a year later and my kitchen ceiling collapsed. They put this on the pipe coming in from the collector (Not sure if that is pertinent). I was told off the record by the plumber they sent to replace the solar water heater with a hybrid that they should not have used this fitting so it was human error, not a manufacturing defect. Would like to hear others’ opinions.

The picture shows the fitting after most of the tape was removed. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 036F0477-308D-48CA-BB86-D402C990BE84.jpeg
    036F0477-308D-48CA-BB86-D402C990BE84.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
My thinking too but they are saying since it’s a fitting failure they aren’t liable for the water damage.
File a lawsuit in small claims court.

That will prompt the company to contact their insurance company……..if they’re smart.

This is as simple as it gets.
I demanded their insurance carrier today which is what prompted them to say if it was proven to be a manufacturing defect they wouldn’t be liable thus forcing me to file a claim with my homeowners insurance. This led me to researching the fittings and then to here.

I demanded their insurance carrier today which is what prompted them to say if it was proven to be a manufacturing defect they wouldn’t be liable thus forcing me to file a claim with my homeowners insurance. This led me to researching the fittings and then to here.
They’re not obligated to give you any info.

File a small claims case in court or if the damages exceed what’s allowable in small claims court then hire a lawyer to take it to district court.

That’s what courts are for, to determine liability.

At the very least you could pay $200 for a consultation with a lawyer for advice.

In Florida if you demand it, they have to provide so I have the carrier’s name. I think they are trying to bully me into not filing. Just trying to do my homework. The drywall damage is about $10k, still waiting on the other estimates.

thank you for the advice.

In Florida if you demand it, they have to provide so I have the carrier’s name. I think they are trying to bully me into not filing. Just trying to do my homework. The drywall damage is about $10k, still waiting on the other estimates.

thank you for the advice.
Yeah, In my location it’s not required that a contractor talk to you at all. The customer has options but the customer can’t make a contractor communicate.

The customer can contact the state board or the city/county that can file on your bond if they decide there was a violation.

Or they can take you to court.

That’s it.

Good luck to you.

CONTRACTOR FAULT
Push-connect fittings have a rating max of 200 F.
Solar thermal water panels can potentially generate temperatures FAR above that.

Push fittings on copper? Not that it can't be done, but should it ever be done? Also, looks like there's a lot of misalignment on that joint, so I'd call it three strikes (push-fit, temperature ratings, misalignment). Not sure what the small-claims court limits are, but tell then they can either pay for the repairs in full or you are filing with their insurance company or the courts.

Regardless of who pays, if their insurance company finds out about this water damage, the homeowner will get stuck with limited water damage coverage for the next 5 years. We discovered this when the previous owner of my home wanted to bilk the insurance companies for a bit of money. Yes, it carries to new owners as well. Ask me how I found out!

Push fittings on copper? Not that it can't be done, but should it ever be done? Also, looks like there's a lot of misalignment on that joint, so I'd call it three strikes (push-fit, temperature ratings, misalignment). Not sure what the small-claims court limits are, but tell then they can either pay for the repairs in full or you are filing with their insurance company or the courts.
I've used them quite successfully on copper, both in ½" and ¾" tubing. It's been discussed before but you really need to use the $10 tool to both trim the edge of the tubing as well as to mark the depth of insertion. If you don't do BOTH of these things, the fitting won't work.

There have been some situations where it was very difficult to remove all the water from the tubing, thus making soldering extremely difficult. Aside from the above trimming of the edge and marking the depth, I always treat a potential joint for a push fitting the same as if it would be soldered. Scrupulously clean from steel wool, wiped down with a clean rag, mark the depth, chamfer the edge with the tool. Do that and you'll have a good fitting.

I don't think I'd want them in a wall, but in an open area (crawl space or basement) I'm good with them.

A shop vac works well to remove water from your copper tube and so does an air compressor.

Bread works.

Jet swets work well.

I’ll use a pushfit but only in the locations and applications of my choosing.

Some houses I would refuse to install a pushfit. Too much liability

Was fresh out of jet sweats, soft white bread etc. It was just easier to use a push fitting under my home and in my garage. No issues.

Regardless of who pays, if their insurance company finds out about this water damage, the homeowner will get stuck with limited water damage coverage for the next 5 years. We discovered this when the previous owner of my home wanted to bilk the insurance companies for a bit of money. Yes, it carries to new owners as well. Ask me how I found out!

Absolutely! Claims against a property follow the property not the (ex)owner! PA has a contingency clause in their agreement of sale that states the (potential) Buyer is allowed to get a homeowners insurance quote, as part of their due diligence, and can cancel the sale if that quote is not acceptable.

I'm with @wpns on this one, that joint is WAY misaligned. It needed to be fixed correctly from the start.

Absolutely their fault. Don't forget they also 'fixed' a known leak with rubber tape!
So many reasons, they are stupid to not just settle with you, they're gonna get hammered in court.

Start here: MyFloridaLicense.com – License efficiently. Regulate fairly.

Not sure about Florida, but everywhere I’ve worked contractors are required to list their contractors license number on business documents, including contracts, invoices and business cards. Whether you have to attach copies of your bond and liability insurance varies by state.
Alabama doesn’t. Florida does…..

It doesn’t require you to show customers proof of insurance or bond. Just license number when you advertise or have business documents.

We can’t get business license without a bond. If the bond gets cancelled the city is notified and your license is suspended. Not sure how Florida does it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back