Shallow Well Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFF

Reaction score
I have a jet pump to a water tank for a shallow well. We dont use the system everyday, but when we do we use it for a garden. This year we have been trying to get our system to work correctly. When we primed the pump it worked as it should, filling the water tank and seemingly working fine.

Here is the issue: After running the water our pressure gauge will drop to 40 and the pump will turn on to fill tank. But it will not fill the tank. The pressure will remain at 40 psi. If we turn on the water faucet again the pressure will drop slowly and then suddenly drop to 0. The pump will turn back on, get to 28-30 psi max and still not fill the tank.

The foot valve is old on our setup and may be the issue. Im not sure why our system would work fine initially and then after water use not refill the tank. Im hoping anyone could take my scenario and help me with what to try.

I think you answered your own question

''When we primed the pump it worked as it should,''

The foot valve is not holding, so you have to prime the pump every time you need water

the foot valve acts as a chek valve, when it fails, you lose prime

I believe the pump is still primed. I do not have to prime it to have it pump more water. I can still use the pump to get water, but it only pumps enough water to fill the lines. Once I use the water the pressure will drop to zero and the pump will eventually turn on and pump the lines full again, but not filling the water tank.

Also, when the pump does run, it runs for about 45 seconds and runs hot.

Latest posts

Back