Sewer smell in shower stall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briancfranks

Reaction score
I have a strange issue in my Master Bathroom. I have a free standing shower. Whenever I turn the water on in the shower for about one minute after the shower is running there is a sewer smell coming up through the drain in the shower floor. However the smell goes away after about one minute. There is no smell in the shower prior to turning on the water and it goes away after a minute of running water. We have a city sewer system not a septic system. Any suggestions.

Pull the strainer cover off the drain, look in drain with a flash light to see if there is any build-up , if so , clean the drain with a cleaning brush and bleach & water , flush drain after cleaning. Make sure you have a long enough brush to reach the trap.

Or you even could shop vac the trap out and clean it out. Try and find an enzyme drain cleaner, most of them take odors away and prevent it from building up again.

There was nothing build up in the trap. Smell, still exists, just not as much. Any more suggestions?

Sounds like you had a bad placement of that shower. I have the same problem, and nobody could give me a suggestion that helped, so I just attributed it to bad luck and placement.

Back