sewer smell in basement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveg01

Reaction score
I have a sewer smell in my basement I am trying to track down.

I have a sump pump that the laundry dumps into. It pumps the water up into the main drain. I noticed that there are some clay tiles that drain into this sump too. One of the drains has a constant trickle of water.

Could this be related? Attached is a photo.

Below are some other possibilities that I have thought of.

• The laundry sink overflowed a 2 months ago and exposed a hidden floor drain (under stick on tiles) that dumps into the sump pump.
  • I recently replaced a toilet in the basement. I am 99% sure I have a good seal.
  • I had some work down upstairs. Maybe the drain/vents are working correctly?
  • Maybe a nest in the main vent?
  • Loose pipe in the dropped ceiling
  • Smell coming from outside the house.

I pored water in the floor drain, flushed toilet, ran faucets, ran basement shower to fill all the traps.

How do you track something like this down? Would this be something a plumber could diagnose or is it guess work that will just eat up a ton of money?

sump.PNG

I have a sump pump that the laundry dumps into. It pumps the water up into the main drain. I noticed that there are some clay tiles that drain into this sump too. One of the drains has a constant trickle of water.

• The laundry sink overflowed a 2 months ago and exposed a hidden floor drain (under stick on tiles) that dumps into the sump pump.
  • I recently replaced a toilet in the basement. I am 99% sure I have a good seal.

I pored water in the floor drain, flushed toilet, ran faucets, ran basement shower to fill all the traps.

How do you track something like this down? Would this be something a plumber could diagnose or is it guess work that will just eat up a ton of money?

Have a smoke test done. Special equipment, Either pipe locating co or some few plumbing contractor

Where did you say that sump pump discharges to. If it is into your sewer how is that connection made. It should not go into the sanitary system unless it is sealed and vented to outside.

Have a smoke test done. Special equipment, Either pipe locating co or some few plumbing contractor

How do you track something like this down? Would this be something a plumber could diagnose or is it guess work that will just eat up a ton of money?[/

Thanks for the suggestion for the smoke test. I will make some calls today to see how much that costs. I see some diy tutorials online, not sure if this is something I should attempt on my own.

Below is a photo that shows how the sump ties into the sewer.

I don't understand what the drain is that has the trickle running into the sump. Could it be train tiles? Could the smell be from this?

Everything from the sump outlet to the sewer is air tight. Is this sufficient?

sewer 2.jpg

Back