Sewer line root intrusion-fix?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcangas

Reaction score
I've had 2 guys out to scope my 3" ABS sewer line to see about fixing some roots that look to be dropping in from a T that had been capped with rubber instead of ABS. One is telling me he'll hydrojet then can insert a section of liner 4' long to plug that up. The other is telling me he's never heard of anything other than a full liner of the entire run if anything but he actually recommended digging it up and fixing it that way.

The problem with digging it up is it's at about 10' deep so it's a project with a back ho and shoring up the hole. Is that sectional liner something new? Based on the above what would the pros recommend?

Thanks in advance for any input

You can section line it but the only times I've been able to do that is with access to the line. I.e. digging it up. Meaning dig it up, open the sewer on two sides, which is the only way I've done them, and then do the liner. Kind of curious if there's another way to spot repair with liner.

You can section line it but the only times I've been able to do that is with access to the line. I.e. digging it up. Meaning dig it up, open the sewer on two sides, which is the only way I've done them, and then do the liner. Kind of curious if there's another way to spot repair with liner.
Thanks for the reply. He showed me the mechanism used to get the liner to the repair spot. About a 4' tube 2.5" in diameter that you wrap the liner around and feed it down to the fix location (which is about 71' from the cleanout). That tube which is basically a balloon is then inflated to set the liner in place then extracted. That's how I understood it in layman's terms. So either this some newer technology or this person has no clue what they're suggesting but he was talking about how many times they've done this already.

Dig it up. Liners can fail. I've heard that if you have another stoppage down steam, you can damage the liner with a snake trying to clear that stoppage

Dig it up. Liners can fail. I've heard that if you have another stoppage down steam, you can damage the liner with a snake trying to clear that stoppage

Can confirm. Unfortunately I damaged a liner with our speedrooter92 machine which allowed root penetration a few years later. Supposably you can’t re-line a liner so in the end it was excavated.

On the other hand, I have snaked liners and I don’t think there was any damage done....no call backs on those ones yet

Back