Sewer line install to basement washroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just helped my nephew add a restroom in his basement and I made him pull permit. If he ever goes to sell the house he will have no issues. I told him it also protects him from getting a hack job by a contractor. I got dinged because I didn't realize the city was requiring back water valve on basement fixtures. They didn't put one on the floor drain by the furnace when the house was built. I talked to the inspector when he came back to re inspect and he said it is new to city code after house was built.

I just helped my nephew add a restroom in his basement and I made him pull permit. If he ever goes to sell the house he will have no issues. I told him it also protects him from getting a hack job by a contractor. I got dinged because I didn't realize the city was requiring back water valve on basement fixtures. They didn't put one on the floor drain by the furnace when the house was built. I talked to the inspector when he came back to re inspect and he said it is new to city code after house was built.
plumbing code also
if the finished floor is below street level it is required

Thanks, all the original pluming for rough-in washroom in the basement was to code with permit. We just decide to move the washroom from the original rough-in location.

Last edited:
So bottom line, you did not pull a permit for this modification, and this modification is now not to your Canadian code and has some real performance issue with it.

With the apparent shallow main tie-in point, your only code option for this further away washroom is probably a waste pump toilet system like a Saniflo.

Latest posts

Back