Sewer line install to basement washroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pratihome4

Reaction score
I recently had a contractor add a new washroom. He extended a sewer line with only a 3.5" rise over a 20ft run and a 0.5 inch drop over the last 2ft (total 22ft).
Also the connection to existing line has a very sharp turn. (See Photos). I would appreciate any professional feedback on this.

Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• Connection to exisiting line IMG-4178 (1).JPG
    Connection to exisiting line IMG-4178 (1).JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • Pipe at slab base IMG-4195.JPG
    Pipe at slab base IMG-4195.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • Level showing negative slope IMG-4180.JPG
    Level showing negative slope IMG-4180.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
  • Connection to exisiting line IMG-4178.JPG
    Connection to exisiting line IMG-4178.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
Normally we slope pipes at 1/4 inch per foot, that being said i have had to install pipe with much less that did work with out trouble for many years. Just be gentle on your pipe s, Do not install an ultra low flow toilet for example. I did not like the toilet counter slope. when i had very little slope i would give slope to the beginning of the pipe with the thought that once the waste was up and running in to make it down the pipe,

Yeah, I agree with FRODO based on the pictures.

He did use two 45’s to make the horizontal turn for the toilet. It’s still backpitched.

Last edited:
I agree with frodo, this is piss poor. It's always hard to meet proper slopes when working away from a sewer under a slab. The slope should be at least 4.8 inches over 20 feet, but you can probably get by with a little less. But the negative slope is unacceptable. Sometimes to make things work you need to elevate the washroom floor. a 4 inch step up into the washroom is a minimal issue if it makes sure the toilet works correctly.

We use to follow a slope of 1/8” per ft for 3-4”. Now our code wants .25” per ft.

what code are you using?
It depends on where I’m working. Each jurisdiction amends the model codes to what they want it to say. Technically I’d have to buy 12 different business license to work in a 30 miles area. 12 different sets of amendments. They literally make it up as they go.

1/4” for 3” and under and 1/4” for 4” but they’ll give you an exception and accept 1/8” for 4” if that’s all you can get. You must get pre approval for 1/8” fall on 4”.

Also at least 4” pipe is required on sanitary drainage outside the walls of the foundation in my area.

The AHJ required me to run 4” pipe 20’ around a house for a handicap shower addition. They also required at least a 3” vent.

No way I would’ve complied if I was spending my money. It cost a lady who didn’t have money to satisfy their stupid made up BS.

Sorry to be off topic, I thought I was on a different thread. I apologize.

Read 708.1 of the UPC.

This guys in Ontario Canada if anyone knows what the Canadian code says

canadian national plumbing code is 1 in 50 weird math which is a 2% slope in a real math
2% is what I initially replied to, but IPC, as noted above, allows 1/8"/ft as you indicated. So pratihome4 does have a code issue living in Canada.

Damn the luck!

Latest posts

Back