sewer gas odor

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ande10

Reaction score
Looking for some help with a sewer gas odor issue in my house. The problem with the odor started a few weeks ago. It's not constant and doesn't even happen every day, but I can't relate it to any event or location. Appears to be getting into the ventilation system somehow.

-The property is on a septic and it was pumped out within the last 6 months.
-I have checked that none of the drains are dry.
-I haven't noticed any slow drains.

Any suggestions?

where is your ac unit located?

where does the condensate drain from the unit drain to?

could also be a vent on your roof, that is below the roof line.
wind can blow the cloud of funk back to your door/window

Last edited:
I am not a plumber but the last 4 houses I have lived in have been on a septic system and Frodo is correct vents, wind and the sky turning blue can from time to time cause the stink. Are you sure it's not a natural gas leak? They put stuff in there that resembles sulfur smells.

Thank you for your replies. Here is some additional info:

The condensate drain for the ac unit is in the basement on the floor. Not sure, but I don't think it even goes to the septic. I've tried to pinpoint it to that location, but it doesn't seem to be coming from there.

The roof vent scenario sounds like a good possibility. I have been here for a few years though, any thoughts on why it might have just started happening recently?

The house was built in the early 70's.

For the natural gas question...to be honest, I have questioned it myself. I even went to the kitchen stove, turned on the gas and compared. I am not 100%, but pretty sure it is sewer gas.

I'm getting close to calling in a professional if I don't find it soon. Any suggestions on who to call first (plumber, hvac, etc.)?

note when it happens. is it a calm/no wind day?
windy?

breeze from the n when smell is smelt? S? E? w?

get a couple of couplings, and a 12" pipe extend the vents. ck it again

its a mater of process of elimination

is any drain in the house not being used every day, or every other day?

are there any clean out plugs left off? open pipes?

have you looked in attic? open vent?

do you have any floor drains?

Latest posts

Back