Sewage pump/basin question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredj

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m new to the forum, and I’m trying replace my first (and hopefully last) basement sewage ejector pump and I have a couple questions. So the old lid is metal and rusty and disintegrating in a few spots, one of the bolts holding it onto the basin was rusted on and impossible to remove, So i had to kinda break up and pry off the lid. As I was doing this, a few of the rusty bits of lid fell into the basin. Do I need to worry about these pieces? I don’t want to ruin a brand new pump by clogging it up with rusty old lid bits. In total, it was about a handful of these pieces probably between 1-3 inches long that fell in the basin. The basin is pretty much full, otherwise I would just try to fish them out somehow. My plan is to install the the new pump, run it and hope it doesn’t suck up any metal bits, let it drain out the basin, then try to go in there and hopefully get the pieces of lid out once the water level is down. Does this sound reasonable? Or should I not even worry about this? Thanks!

Fredj

i changed my pump a couple of years ago.....take the time wet vac the basin out and start clean doesn't take long yes its dirty....im a plumber so im used to it but if you only pull the pump and don't inspect the basin your only doing it half way.....I changed the check valve ...some plumbing supply houses sell a check valve with a ball valve above it
not sure of the age of yours but mine was 15 years old.....

How big is it? You can call a local septic pumper and for 100 bucks he’ll pump and clean it out for you, then it’s easy peasy.

yea, thats kinda what i figured, im gonna place some calls tomorrow, thanks everybody!

How far will the bottom of the pump be from the bottom of the sump ?

Wyr
God bless

Back