Septic Tanks w/ Concrete Slab Lid(s)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnoc

Reaction score
Hello All,
The previous owner of my home (Atlanta, GA) created quite a beautiful landscaping scene around and over the septic tank. It is time to have it pumped and rather than having machinery in there tearing everything up I've opted to work with a shovel. The tank is from 1971 and was easy enough to find however rather than one nice round or square septic lid in the middle of the tank I think I have a tank with concrete slab(s). Not entirely sure since I only dug up the middle portion of the tank but I did find a quarter inch gap running the width of the tank that I believe is from one side of the removable slap.

A few questions for the experts:
1) Do tanks with the slab type openings typically have 1,2 or 3 slabs?
2) If more than 1, do I have to remove each to get the tank pumped? If not, do remove just the first (closest to house), middle, or 3rd?
3) Is it possible to create a riser for this type of tank to avoid the hassle of digging it up again in a few years.

Thanks in advance for any insight/advice.

Is there any way you could post some photos of the tank? I think I might know what you're talking about.

Part of my job is inspecting septic systems for a local health department in Texas. I've come across a couple tanks like that and they both had 3 slabs. Only one of those tanks was pumped, and it was done by removing one of the end slabs, though the pumper couldn't get to the solids on the other end of the tank. I would think just the middle slab should be enough. The pumper can swing his hose around and get under the other slabs, more or less, but the middle would give the most access for the least amount of work. Of course, that's assuming I'm talking about the same thing you're talking about.

And since you're going through the trouble, make sure the pumper gets as much of the solids as they can and not just the liquid. I know there are pumpers that just get the liquid and move on, and that serves no purpose. The point of having a tank pumped is to remove the buildup of solids.

Thanks for the insight. Honestly pics would not add much, I have only dug out a small section of (maybe) the middle slab.

The middle slab would make the most sense to me as well. My only concern would be the ability to inspect the inlet/outlet but I guess a more tradition tank with an access hole in the middle would be in the predicament.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back