Septic Tank Pump Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsm

Reaction score
Hello. I was hoping someone could help me with a question I have. I just pulled the pump on my low-dose (low pressure pipe) system to replace it. I noticed the original installer choked the 1.5" ball valve leaving the tank to the field lines to 3/4 open.

Not sure why they would have done that - maybe to control the flow rate to the drain field? I am thinking about opening it to full open upon reinstall, as this would seem to just put unnecessary head pressure on the pump (pump is a Zoeller 151).

Thanks for any help in advance.

Joseph

I'm not a septic guy and I know things have changed a lot over the years, like with these raised beds that most consider a joke. But why would anyone put a 1.5" ball valve in an effluent line in the first place?

The zoeller doesn't care about head. It's max head is probably no more than 35'. It's working harder when it's moving the most water.

the valve is there to isolate the downstream line ( odour and head water), why it would be to 3/4 i dont know but imo It wouldnt serve a perpose.

Back