Septic tank crumble

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isletlake

Reaction score
Hello
I discovered that the center wall in my tank is crumbling in a very unusual way and wonder if it can be repaired. I will try to explain what is happening. From the cross over pipe(from primary to secondary side) Imagine a line in the concrete going both ways, down towards bottom of tank. the crumbling lines go from the the center pipe down on angles away from center line of tank. It looks like a big V under the crossover pipe. For some reason the concrete is all eaten away beginning from the pipe. The water still runs through the pipe and falls straight down into the tank, so the water is not leaking through around the pipe. The lines in the concrete look quite deep at this point and i suspect the center wall will cave in at some point. The wall or baffle as some people call it, goes all the way up to ceiling of tank. The tank is for sure older and in such a location that changing it out in that location is nearly impossible. I am in Northern Alberta Canada and the tank is buried very deep here for frost reasons, 5' of cover dirt.
What do you guys think about concrete repairs of some type and why is this strange V shaped corrosion taking place. The concrete directly under the crossover pipe is fine with no corrosion.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.Wish i had a pic to send but dont
Thanks

Last edited:
Do you have water softener discharging into your septic? The salt brine will break down concrete

Were you able to photograph the corrosion when the lid was off... :confused:

What causes corrosion?

There are several theories as to what causes septic tank corrosion.

Bacteria

Naturally occurring bacteria in septic tanks excrete hydrogen sulfide gas (causing the rotten egg smell in sewage). This gas naturally stays dormant in septic tanks until a form of turbulence is introduced. When the turbulence is introduced the gas is released and floats in the air space of the tank.

Another bacteria—thiobacillus—converts the gas into hydrosulfuric acid, which eats concrete
Airtight compartments

The dividing wall in the septic tank sometimes does not touch the top of the tank, which allows the gasses from the second compartment to vent back through the first compartment and back through the plumbing vents of the house. When this dividing wall extends to the top of the tank, it may prevent those gases in the second compartment from venting out.

Water softeners

Some believe water softeners have an effect on the tanks; however, we have seen corrosion on many tanks that doe not have water softeners connected to the system.

Other theories include poor concrete mixes and/or water chemistry.

Excerpt From- http://www.vdwws.com/2013/04/spotting-septic-tank-corrosion/

Tank Venting.jpg

Latest posts

Back