Septic Tank Baffle Clogging

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastballbaker

Reaction score
Why does my baffle continue to clog up at the inlet area?
Every 2 weeks or so, I pop open the septic tank cover, and the baffle is always clogged up.
My tank has a pipe that enters the inlet and has a long black triangle shape baffle that catches the waste as it enters the tank. That area always build up and hardens up. We have 4 people in the house, I tell the girls no female items in the toilet and no wet wipes in the toilet.

So every 2 weeks, I get my long wooden stick and stir up the waste inside the plastic baffle were it enters the tanks, and on the right side of the plastic baffle to loosen the waste or scum and toilet paper build up.

I also have my gray water separate from my septic tank.

What is causes this problem? Does my tank need to be pumped?
Any thoughts. Thanks

How long has it been since your tank was pumped last, and a picture would greatly help.

Are you thinking that the floating scum level may have worked its way down to the level of the baffle bottom? Making it tough for floating material to sink into the main tank area?

That's very well possible. You should have it pumped about every four to five years or that top layer will get thick enough to give you problems at your inlet, not only that but you don't want any sludge going out to your drain field and causing a failure. A lot of times grease will accumulate no matter how careful you are and clog your inlet.

Maybe not the greatest pics, but notice how it is clogged on both sides of the baffle. I can stir and break this up, and about 2 weeks later it is starting to big and clog up again..

Latest posts

Back