Septic system upgrade

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagrunner2602

Reaction score
I bought a 3 bedroom house in 1991 in Windsor CT. with a 1000 gallon septic tank and the D-box goes to 3 dry wells. The system was starting to act up about 2 years ago and I want to upgrade.

I went to the town of Windsor Health Department and got the land plots that show where the existing tank and drywells are located and also showing reserve plots for future expansion for new field installations.

The town said I need to replace all 3 drywells.

Before I start to look for estimates from contractors to have the 3 drywells replaced with new leeching fields does anyone know what I’m looking for as far as the cost?

I don’t need the tank or D-box just the upgrade to the fields. I was also looking into the INFILTRATE SYSTEM CHAMBERS.

I’m guessing a lot depends on the town codes for parts of the cost. I know there’s going to be a permit cost as well as perk testing etc.

Can someone give me a ballpark estimate of what this might cost before I start shopping.

Also, if anyone can recommend a contractor(s) from within the greater Hartford area that would be great!

I just want to have my ducks in a row before shopping and not get ripped off.

Any help would be great!

Thank you!
James

thank you. I'm heading to the town hall and talk to the health dept and see what my options are with codes etc and maybe they can recommend a local service. Afterwards I'll head to the building/engineering dept and see what they say.

I didn't think about maybe buying the supplies online and have it installed. That might be a big option to save money.

I think I just need a new field installed and hooked up to the current D-box.

I was looking at the infiltration system.

Again, I'll see what the town says as far as building codes.

thanks for your help!

JAG

The cost for the septic tank and installation usually between $8,000 to $12,000 and the cost to repair an current septic system is $3,000 to $6,000.

Thanks Ed for the numbers.

My goal is to have the current system replace with a infiltrator system and hopefully I could keep the cost out the door Between $3000.00 to $4000.00 or better.

Yesterday I contact a few vendors from Angie’s list and waiting for their call to make an appointment for estimates.

I’ve been doing my homework to make sure I have all my ducks in order so I don’t get the run around with high prices.

The problem I’m having is seasonal. The drywells are absorbing the effluent at a SLOW rate.

When I look into the D- Box riser, the water at times will go above the 3 outlet pipes that go to the 3 dry wells.

I’ve been to the town and talked to the building department and health department to know what my options are.

After talking with the building department they said I can excavate 1 of the drywells to take a look and maybe find out if it’s blocked etc. without a permit however, they also said to get a comprehensive inspection first.

I think maybe getting a camera inspection to look in the lines going to the pits might find the issue.

This is what I had already inspected and the following are OK

• Tank baffles
• Sludge and scum levels are normal
• Water coming from the house to tank
• No leaky faucets etc.
• Tank pumped every 2 years

I only need to have the fields inspected.
Possible scenarios:

• Fix current clogged or absorbing areas (3 leeching pits (Dry Wells)
• Replace current leeching pits (3 dry wells with the (INFILTRATOR SYSTEM)

I think camera inspection can be helpful for finding issues.
Also get fields inspected, it help you find the exact cost of repair.

Back