Septic smell!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James71568

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've exhausted about everything I know to do. I have a conventional septic system at my house(probably 35 years old) . There are only 2 of us using this system and I put bugs in there monthly. I have a septic smell around my toilet. I've pumped out my tank, I've redone all my field lines. My tank does not smell. I've snaked and flushed all my pipes and vent pipes on the roof. I've mixed baking soda with vinegar and flushed several times. It seems like after doing all that, the smell has gotten worse. I had my bathroom remodeled about 3 to 4 years ago and the toilet was replaced at that time. Is there anything else it may be? I'm lost!! Any and all help would greatly be appreciated!! Thanks

Put nose on floor at the base of the toilet...that would reveal if the wax seal is the leak.
Beyond that, smoke test from a pro who has the equipment.

Do you run water down every drain, every month? Traps dry out, and sources of smells can be illusive.

I'll check that, thanks
Ok, I’ve replaced the wax ring on the toilet and the smell is still very strong. What I don’t understand is why it doesn’t smell at my tub or bathroom sink and they are tied together. It makes me think that the P traps are doing there job at those 2 places. Is it possible that although the toilet is fairly new that it could be bad? Thanks

Pull the toilet and plug the pipe air tight and see if the smell goes away.

If you have a crawlspace check it for leaks.

If you have a slab……cross your fingers and toes and hope the pipe isn’t bad under the slab.

If you have a slab……cross your fingers and toes and hope the pipe isn’t bad under the slab.
Ok, thanks

I’m on a slab, doesn’t the toilet have a built in P trap? If so, shouldn’t that keep the smell from coming back? I’m no expert by any means, just trying to figure it out. Thanks for your help.

The toilet has an S trap and typically a mechanical trap prime. So if you see water standing at normal level in the bowl then the problem isn’t the toilets trap.

The wax seal is there to seal the toilet to the pipe. Without a good seal you can get sewer gas leaking into the room. If the toilet is rocking or moving the seal is probably compromised. It must be installed properly. The flange must be installed properly and at the correct height.

Pull the toilet, seal the pipe. You do that and then the smell goes away for a few days then you’ve isolated the problem to the wax seal ( more likely ) or a defective toilet ( less likely).

The toilet has an S trap and typically a mechanical trap prime. So if you see water standing at normal level in the bowl then the problem isn’t the toilets trap.

The wax seal is there to seal the toilet to the pipe. Without a good seal you can get sewer gas leaking into the room. If the toilet is rocking or moving the seal is probably compromised. It must be installed properly. The flange must be installed properly and at the correct height.

Pull the toilet, seal the pipe. You do that and then the smell goes away for a few days then you’ve isolated the problem to the wax seal ( more likely ) or a defective toilet ( less likely).
I just had a certified plumber change the wax ring a few days ago and the toilet is sturdy and does not move. So you think It could be compromised below the slab? The toilet appears to have the proper level after each flush but it does seem more bubbly(like air) when we flush it. (If that makes sense at all, lol)

I just had a certified plumber change the wax ring a few days ago and the toilet is sturdy and does not move. So you think It could be compromised below the slab? The toilet appears to have the proper level after each flush but it does seem more bubbly(like air) when we flush it. (If that makes sense at all, lol)
You have a single story house with a roof you can walk on ?

Pour half this bottle down the vent and then pour 1/2 gallon of hot tap water behind it. Have someone do this for you.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3631979539...jcRu4xsSwS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Then you see if you smell peppermint inside.

The person that pours the peppermint never comes inside the house.

Try to isolate bathrooms or fixtures by shutting doors. Turn hvac system off. No fans on.

Try to isolate bathrooms or fixtures by shutting doors. Turn hvac system off. No fans on.
Ok, it is a single story home. I put a sewer snake down the vent piping and flushed water down them for several minutes each. If I smell peppermint in the bathroom then what does that mean? Or if I don’t? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again for all your help.

If you smell peppermint inside then the foul smell is definitely sewer. The peppermint will help you locate the source if it’s above the slab,

The peppermint smell will be strong around the toilet if it’s the toilet itself or wax that’s bad.

If you smell peppermint inside then the foul smell is definitely sewer. The peppermint will help you locate the source if it’s above the slab,

The peppermint smell will be strong around the toilet if it’s the toilet itself or wax that’s bad.
Ok, I’ll give it a shot, thanks again

What kind of floor do you have ? You mentioned a remodel job, so if the wax ring was bad and leaking before the smell could be residule under tile in the grout, soaked into subfloor or even into the concrete.... if thats the case you would need to have the flooring redone and the slab cleaned under the flooring. I bought this house 2 years ago with a simular issue, smell urine really strong around toilet on a linoleum floor, previous owner slit it to go around toilet and not pull the toilet to do correctly so I thought well that could be it since some plywood was exposed in the back.... well now Im remodeling the bath, toilet has always been wobbly so I planned to tighten that up, well I pulled the linoleum up and whoa..... the plywood is completely rotted away on one side where apparently the wax ring leaked....and it smells ( not to mention the mold too ) I plan to replace the whole subfloor, although Im on a slab as well, the PO relocated the toilet and busted up the slab under ( now I know the reason for the subfloor on a slab in the bathroom. I plan to fill it back with concrete once Im done.... But ule of thumb.... if water can get there, then so can smells.

Back