Septic pipe replacement advice

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igorjad

Reaction score
Hi all,

As you can see in the picture, I had a 3" copper pipe feeding into what looks like an iron 6" pipe connected by a (brass? according to my father-in-law) coupling. The copper pipe sprung a leak. Beyond the hole pictured, the rest of the pipe was paper thin and you could push through if you wanted to, so I had a plumber come in to replace it. He replaced all of the copper and the 90 degree flexible fitting with PVC. The PVC and the brass coupling are the same diameter, so the PVC is just resting on the coupling and is depending on the flexible coupling to stabilize it.

This "solution" has now been leaking since it was implemented. My questions are:
1) Is this a code violation?
2) Should the entire brass coupling have been replaced as well?
3) Any ballpark numbers on what it would cost to do this job correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Igor

Attachments

• PXL_20230608_232055193.jpg
    PXL_20230608_232055193.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230522_235528387.jpg
    PXL_20230522_235528387.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230531_152512723.jpg
    PXL_20230531_152512723.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
The issue appears to be the OD of their brass fitting. The Fernco rubber coupling is bulged above the bottom clamp a bit. You might have better luck using a shielded Fernco such as this.

1686668887899.png

You can then apply more clamping force with the bottom clamp and the shield clamp.

I assume he cut the brass fitting such that there is no lip to catch things. Not a code violation. You could have pulled the brass fitting out of the oakum/lead joint to the cast iron, and I would have done that just because. But that would involve more work, time and more fittings.

Note sure of the cost in your area to replace the Fernco with a shielded one or to remove the brass fitting and replace it in the cast iron hub with another fitting to mate with the PVC.

Correct, no lip because he didn't do anything to the brass fitting, just cut the copper pipe where it entered it.

Thanks for the help. I'll try a shielded fitting.

Worked like a charm, dry as a bone! Thank you for the advice!

The issue appears to be the OD of their brass fitting. The Fernco rubber coupling is bulged above the bottom clamp a bit. You might have better luck using a shielded Fernco such as this.

View attachment 40702

You can then apply more clamping force with the bottom clamp and the shield clamp.

I assume he cut the brass fitting such that there is no lip to catch things. Not a code violation. You could have pulled the brass fitting out of the oakum/lead joint to the cast iron, and I would have done that just because. But that would involve more work, time and more fittings.

Note sure of the cost in your area to replace the Fernco with a shielded one or to remove the brass fitting and replace it in the cast iron hub with another fitting to mate with the PVC.

Back