Septic leak and sunken area, what are my options?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasicPoke

Reaction score
Hello, I have a problem with my conventional (non-aerobic) septic system on my 3-bedroom house. Someone installed an effluent pump and tank maybe 12 years ago, between the septic tank and the field, I suppose because the leach field was failing. It has generally been working, with an occasional leak in the field somewhat near the tank. It believe it is a 1000 gallon tank.

This past summer a sunken area has appeared near the far end of the lines, maybe 20 ft in diameter, sunken maybe 6 inches for the most part, with one small area even deeper than that. When there is rain, water sits there for a long time and appears to have an oil on the surface. What do you think is going on here with the sunken area?

Also a major leak has developed maybe 20 ft from the tank. Liquid appears on the ground any time we do laundry and often when we shower. When we had a dry spell this spring, this leak stopped. I believe this would be in the piping even before the leach field, but not sure. This leak will have to be eliminated because of the smell.

It seems I have a big problem. What are my options? I am somewhat inclined to dig up the area that's leaking and try to seal it, but is there any point in this? While I do the work, I can divert the effluent to the ground at another area with a pump temporarily. Please let me know your thoughts.

Edit: Unless the field was replaced etc. before, it is 39 years old. I have been here for 19 years.

Thanks
Ron

Last edited:
Back