Septic Backup?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg0145

Reaction score
Recently we had massive air bubbles come out of our toilet. I'll try and outline exactly what happened and previous issue's.

1. The bubbles surfaced while my washing machine was draining after the rinse cycle.
2. It was during a heavy rain storm.
3. My toilet flushed fine. No issue's with flushing immediately after this happened.
4. No water backup in any drains, sinks, tub, nowhere.
5. We had a very small amount of effluent surface about 5 years ago. We had the tank pumped when this happened. Nothing since.
6. I had my tank pumped again 2 days after this most recent episode (bubbles in toilet).
7. Septic guy said level in tank was normal, not full. No surfaced effluent in the drain field.
8. Below are pictures of my plumbing. I outlined best I could.

My question is, do you think my septic was backed up based on what you see below? Could it be clogged pipes?

Diagram 1.JPG

Diagram 2.JPG

It sounds as if the drain field got saturated from the heavy rains and had a hard time accepting large amounts of water from the house. The average old style washing machine holds around 20 - 25 gallons of water and uses around 45 - 55 gallons of water during a wash cycle.

Last edited:
Normally Air Bubbles in the toilet should be of 3 reasons,

First one is the level of your septic tank.
Second one is may be drain field flow.
Third one is a blockage in pipe lines. Any solid materials or garbage disposal clogged in the pipelines also the reason for the bubbles. So check out your pipe lines for any clogged materials.

Here is the detailed article about septic tank problems.http://www.Ridseptictankproblems.com.

Hope this will helpful for you...;)

Back