Separate Hot and Cold Handles - not mixing right

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, my place is a little older and still has separate hot and cold handles in the shower and we like them that way. However the temperate mix doesn't work right. I either get all hot or all cold. I can adjust the handles all I like. Turn on hot and set cold at ANY level = hot. Turn on cold first and set hot at any level = cold. What can cause this and suggestions to fix? I understand that other systems can have mixing valves/pressure regulators etc but other than the handles all of the hardware is behind the wall.

Attachments

• shower handles.jpg
    shower handles.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
Might be something broken inside the individual cartridges. If you have a single shower mixing valve somewhere else in the house, or a cross connection elsewhere.
To check: Go to shut the cold water supply at the WH completely off.
Then, go to any hot water individual valve in the dwelling and open it.
There should be no hot nor cold water flow after it depressurizes.

We don’t have a single shower mixing valve anywhere all of them are same as the picture. When you say individual cartridges you mean the mechanism right behind the shower handles right?

The valve stem is what the handles attach to. Did you follow my note to find if you are getting bypass ?

Latest posts

Back