Seeking views on anti-siphon, freeze-proof spigots

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastronomique

Reaction score
I'd like to hear pros and cons of installing a new anti-siphon antifreeze exterior faucet on the side of my house. My current faucet leaks, and the hose bib also leaks, so that water continually drips from my garden hose. I was going to replace both the hose bib and standard spigot, but then I learned about anti-siphon, antifreeze faucets. It seems that if I got one of those, I could replace both the hose bib and standard spigot at the same time. I live in Maryland where we have persistent sub-freezing temperatures only a couple times in a normal winter, so the antifreeze feature is not critical. I welcome any thoughts about this. Also, how long should the pipe from the antifreeze spigot be? I see there are a variety of lengths available from a few inches to have fun or more.

Thanks in advance.

We have a hundred or so in service. If you get teh ones with the integral air-break anti-siphon, and disconnect the hoses when it is going to freeze, they work fine.

If you have access, it is advisable to install a shutoff just before it.

Back