Seeking advice on automating a lawn sprinkler system on a pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRL2037

Reaction score
I'm new to this business of automated sprinkler systems and am seeking some advice on my home system. I have nine zones in place that are watered by a submersible pump in my yard well. I have always manually changed to the different zones by hooking up the different hoses and then turning on/off my pump to get the job done. I'd like to automate so that when I'm away, the yard and garden still get watered.
I realize I'll have to set up a box with at least nine solenoid valves with a timer to control them. I plan to have the box at ground level so I can disconnect water and power at the end of the watering season and move the unit indoors to prevent freezing damage. Here are my concerns: 1. How do I coordinate the turning on/off of the pump(220 volt) with the control timer? 2. Can the pump be running as I change from one zone to another without damaging the pump? 3. Can you recommend a good control timer to handle this situation?
Thank you so much for any help you might offer.

Last edited:
Most timers today have pump circuits built in. This circuit sends a 24 volt signal to a relay with each zone. The relay applies power to the pump and only allows it to run when that particular solenoid is actuated. The relay is called a pump start relay and is bought separately from the controller.

You can do the above or if you want hose bibbs for some hand washing and washing of the car etc, you can install a small tank and pressure switch. This makes the pump totally seperate from the sprinkler system.

Thanks. I'll make sure I also buy the pump start relay for my system.

Latest posts

Back