Seeking advice for a shower reno...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkl 2455

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on renovating an existing shower space (4 x 6 feet) which currently has the following devices:
  1. vintage (late '80's) Moen "Moentrol" shower/tub fixture, non pressure balanced nor temperature controlled
  2. (2) Speakman old school shower heads, one fixed, the other handheld, both have individual inline isolation valves.
  3. Delta pulldown style tub diverter spout.
  4. 1/2" copper plumbing throughout, water pressure regulator set @ 70 psi.
My proposed plumbing is as follows:
  1. retaining the Moen shower valve
  2. retaining both Speakman shower heads, but removing their isolation valves.
  3. replacing the Delta tub spout with a non-diverter Moen unit (it was free)
  4. adding an in-wall diverter valve for the Moen spout
  5. adding (2) body sprays, either Moen or Delta units
  6. adding an in-wall transfer valve, again either a Moen or Delta 4 port unit
My water flow goals are as follows:
  1. tub spout only
  2. shower head 1 only
  3. shower head 2 only
  4. both shower heads simultaneously
  5. both shower heads and both body sprays all at once
Are my goals possible with the addition of the diverter and transfer valves as I am proposing?
On a side note, retaining the Moen shower valve is imperative, it's been uber reliable and does not have water flow restrictions, nor do the existing Speakman shower heads.
Matching the trim for the new proposed diverter and transfer valves is somewhat desirable, however an impossibility with the "chop suey" mix of devices, existing and new.
Comments, suggestions or guffaws anyone?

By code the shower valve would not be allowed to remain with all the other modifications you’re making.

Current plumbing code aside, that Sir is the least of my concerns, besides it's been in use since 1981 daily with nary a problem about a sudden reduction in cold water pressure, such as flushing a toilet and the resultant scalding issues.

Your concern is admirable and duly noted.

Current plumbing code aside, that Sir is the least of my concerns, besides it's been in use since 1981 daily with nary a problem about a sudden reduction in cold water pressure, such as flushing a toilet and the resultant scalding issues.

Your concern is admirable and duly noted.

It’s not a concern of mine, it’s more of a comment.

It’s probably fine with everyone here if you just do what you want.

I’d love to see pics of your project as you proceed !

Maybe Grohe Grotherm would be a good choice for the items you want to control. It is like a valve and transfer built into one.

The feature I like best is that the temperature you set stays the same for next use, unless you change it with the large knob (see photo on web site.) It is Temperature Balanced and, as far as I could find out, is code approved.

It has three separate On-Off-Volume controls, so each outlet can be used separately or at the same time. When you turn it off (push button) the volume setting is retained for next time.

You can get round or square escutcheons. You also can get it for 2 or even one outlet. It's set to max out at 109-F, but you can cheat it up during installation (or later). Installation is way easier than the directions make it look,. Grohe & others have videos demonstrating. The Rapido box to which it mounts is available for copper sweat, NPT or PEX (I can't remember it it is expansion or crimp ring PEX.)

RE: Temperature Balance Testing:
In real life, I tested it by suddenly turning on cold water outlet of 6 gpm. The temperature of the Grohe's water changed by 1 degree-F for less than a second, then corrected to the original temp. I did the same with hot water, but only 4 gpm was available. The results were the same. In use, I've never noticed the temp change when someone flushes or turns on a sink or washing machine.

The down side is that it is rather expensive.

Product:
https://www.grohe.us/bathroom/grohtherm-smartcontrol
Demonstration:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=grohe+gro...i=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIoSt7gQ1E
Installation:
youtube.com/watch?v=q9u5Ml5cUxE

OR-

Installation:

Paul

Latest posts

Back