Sediment

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ignorance is a sad condition. I’m here to educate

I believe this heater is approximately 20 yrs old.
It’s never been drained,never had the anode replaced.

Copper pipe directly into the heater

It’s still in service and working perfectly. The customer wanted an estimate to replace it.,

Would you drain it ? 🤣. Then fill it up ? 🤪. Think the customer would be happy ? 🤔

C3AE37F2-8028-43E0-A2BE-B69C612D8D36.png

Last edited:
Again ..... I didn't know this was a "PLUMBERS" forum for only the pro's. That would be the :
Professional Plumbers Forum

I thought this was a forum about learning how to do "stuff" ourselves. And yes........ Being the happy homeowner I would replace the elements..... vacuum out the tank ,,,,,,,, change the thermostats and the Anode..... in the hopes of avoiding a February surprise. Less than sixty dollars well spent.

Last edited:
Think I got anything out of this one ? Guess what that is ?
B60DC2C6-B6D1-4E26-ADE7-AE3F6E96189B.jpeg

Again ..... I didn't know this was a "PLUMBERS" forum for only the pro's. That would be the :

I thought this was a forum about learning how to do "stuff" ourselves. And yes........ Being the happy homeowner I would replace the elements..... vacuum out the tank ,,,,,,,, change the thermostats and the Anode..... in the hopes of avoiding a February surprise.
It’s not for only pros but the information needs to be accurate.
Vac, drain, stand on your head......that’s fine but when all that fails don’t t be surprised. That’s what I’m trying to convey to you.

It’s ok if you don’t agree with me. I promise. Like I said, I make a good living being a business owner/plumber 3rd generation master plumber.

Please, teach me something I don’t know, I’m ready to learn.

And yes........ Being the happy homeowner I would replace the elements..... vacuum out the tank ,,,,,,,, change the thermostats and the Anode.....

Why wouldn’t you change the relief valve? You suggest all those replacements but fail to replace the safety valve.

Please explain, I want to learn.

You sure you want to play with me ?

I did not think about it .......... probably because I've replaced a couple in the past and they were "hammered" in from the factory. I do have a new one in my tool chest next to the new check valve.

I did not think about it .......... probably because I've replaced a couple in the past and they were "hammered" in from the factory. I do have a new one in my tool chest next to the new check valve.

Relief valves hammered in ? I dont follow that, I remove them with a 10” crescent when new and old ones I use a 14” pipe wrench, no worries about damaging it. Or whatever wrench I want.....

I was an expert witness on a case where the maintenance guy at an apartment complex use a pipe wrench to install a relief valve and it damaged the valve which caused it to not open.

He replaced the valve because the old one kept blowing off large amounts of very hot water.

The upper thermostat was malfunctioning they believe based on the large amounts of hot water being dumped. The ECO should’ve cut out and cut the heater off, it didn’t.

It could’ve also had a grounded element that was heating continually, in addition to a malfunctioning upper thermo..,

Kind of hard to find out all the details when the debris from the water heater was scattered over a two block area after it exploded. No one was killed but there were injuries.

Anyway, back to anodes. What do you do for water heaters where the anodes are not accessible ? Like the manufacture straight out says, the anode is not accessible. 😐 Tear into it anyway and void the warranty ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back