Sediment

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erath0730

Reaction score
We have been having some issues with of municipal water. They keep telling me when to drain my water heater. When I flush it I keep getting sediment like this. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 766FB5B7-7458-40DF-AE08-3FA1978E583E.jpeg
    766FB5B7-7458-40DF-AE08-3FA1978E583E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 262511E2-E9E8-4E23-B2B1-FB5AE8B727A5.jpeg
    262511E2-E9E8-4E23-B2B1-FB5AE8B727A5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
If they’re the cause of the sediment or whatever then there’s not much you can do other than filter the water.

If it’s coming out of your water heater you could try to flush it out but you could also just replace it.

Does your cold water have any problems with “ sediment “ ?

If they’re the cause of the sediment or whatever then there’s not much you can do other than filter the water.

If it’s coming out of your water heater you could try to flush it out but you could also just replace it.

Does your cold water have any problems with “ sediment “ ?
I haven’t noticed any sediment in the cold water. My toilet water has been discolored and I’ve flushed the water heater tank a dozen times and still picking up sediment. Is it probably coming from the city lines?

I haven’t noticed any sediment in the cold water. My toilet water has been discolored and I’ve flushed the water heater tank a dozen times and still picking up sediment. Is it probably coming from the city lines?

How old is the heater ? Is this sediment causing any problems ?

Water heater is from 2016. Sediment isn’t the problem but my shower water has been rusty, but conflicted if that because of the water heater or the city.

Do you have neighbors ? Ask them if they’re getting the same.

Do you use all of your hot water supply or close to it on a regular basis ? In other words do you use a lot of hot water in a short period of time.

Run a lot of cold water into the bathtub and see what it looks like. You could even do this outside at a hose Bibb with a 5gal bucket.

Do you have neighbors ? Ask them if they’re getting the same.

Do you use all of your hot water supply or close to it on a regular basis ? In other words do you use a lot of hot water in a short period of time.

Run a lot of cold water into the bathtub and see what it looks like. You could even do this outside at a hose Bibb with a 5gal bucket.
I have noticed my indoor sinks using only cold water haven’t been discolored as much but still have a Metallic taste to it

I have noticed my indoor sinks using only cold water haven’t been discolored as much but still have a Metallic taste to it

You might have several problems going on.

Does the city expect this to clear up on their end ?

You could filter and treat the incoming water. That would certainly solve that end of the equation. Expensive and is a maintenance issue.

If that didn’t clear up the hot water then you could flush some more or just replace it.

Just info : Flushing your tank with the factory compression drain valve is never going to be effective and the compression valve will only flush the small particles of sediment. Replacing the factory drain with a 3/4 ball valve made for flushing is a better bet.
If it's an electric heater .. drain the tank .. pull the bottom element and use a wet vac with a flexible length of hose attached ( I use auto heater hose ) to clean out the bottom of the tank properly.

Attachments

• Drain valve.jpg
    Drain valve.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1
If a water heater has never been “ flushed “ and it’s out of warranty, I don’t recommend disturbing the tank.

Sometimes rusty water gets stirred up and never clears up.,

If a water heater has never been “ flushed “ and it’s out of warranty, I don’t recommend disturbing the tank.

Sometimes rusty water gets stirred up and never clears up.,
I flushed it about a dozen times today and got a lot of small sediment out. After showering tonight I noticed the water wasn’t as brown but still had a pretty heavy iron smell to it

I also replaced the anode rod a couple weeks ago when all these problems started

TWHack = And again ... we agree to disagree. With an Electric you can easily vacuum out the sediment ... add a little water ... vacuum that out ........ and after about 3 or 4 times the tank and water is reasonably clear. And I won't even bring up the Anode topic.

And again ... we agree to disagree. With an Electric you can easily vacuum out the sediment ... add a little water ... vacuum that out ........ and after about 3 or 4 times the tank and water is reasonably clear. And I won't even bring up the Anode topic.

That doesn’t cure a rusty tank does it ?

You can drain and vacuum all day but if the inside of the tank is rusty you’re done.

I flushed it about a dozen times today and got a lot of small sediment out. After showering tonight I noticed the water wasn’t as brown but still had a pretty heavy iron smell to it

I also replaced the anode rod a couple weeks ago when all these problems started

Do you routinely use all your hot water ? Run a lot of hot water in a short time ?

Get your water tested. See what’s in it.

I suspect you need filtration and treatment.

That doesn’t cure a rusty tank does it ?

You can drain and vacuum all day but if the inside of the tank is rusty you’re done.
Here we go again ....... that's why Erath is commended for changing his Anode rod.

If this guy was my customer.....

I’d install a stainless steel water heater.

Test the water and see what’s in it.,

Filter and treat from those results.

I would probably disinfectant the entire potable system as well.

Here we go again ....... that's why Erath is commended for changing his Anode rod.

Then you tell me why he’s still getting rusty water......🤣

Oh.....oh yeah......he’s been tinkering with his water heater. That’s why he has rusty water. He’s disturbed it.,

It may not ever clear up. This isn’t my first rodeo.

Then you tell me why he’s still getting rusty water......🤣

Oh.....oh yeah......he’s been tinkering with his water heater. That’s why he has rusty water. He’s disturbed it.,

It may not ever clear up. This isn’t my first rodeo.

Erath has yet to get the tank thoroughly cleaned. I suspect once he does he will be good for a couple years.

This is why a lot of pros refuse to give advise on forums. There’s always some guy who’s worked on a few water heaters around his house and the old lady’s across the street and he’s suddenly an expert.

And then there’s the guy who desperately googles everything thing you say to try and cast shade on it.

Some how they think this trumps a man who makes his living working on and installing these units for years almost daily.

It’s truly amazes me.

Don’t confuse your google searches with my 36 yrs of experience.,

Latest posts

Back